No announcement yet.

Genetic Engineering and the Theoretical Possibilities From it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Engineering and the Theoretical Possibilities From it

Everyone is familiar with genetically modified food, but did everyone here also know that animals, even humans can be genetically altered to look different or be developed by unconventional means.

For instance, in theory genetic engineering can recreate dinosaurs either through cloning or merging species together to form a similar result. Theoretically it is even possible to recreate a centaur (you know the half man, half horse fella) if done correctly. Such species are called chimeras or hybrids. Obviously, mankind is only in the early stages of this technology, but do not be surprised if one day a theme park like Jurassic Park actually becomes a reality. Many of the creatures you hear about in Greek myths, like the three headed dog, centaurs, pans, and Minotaurs are not that far from reality as once believed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parahuman

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...e-chicken.html
    Last edited by Enayze; 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM.

waiting for mokmok to call end products of genetic engineering "abominations..."

well anyway, the first thing to enter my mind everytime this topic is mentioned is andrew niccol's film GATTACA... excellent piece of work...

Comment

Im much more interested in surgically implanted robotic prosthetics.

Comment

As long as they are not given Human rights and can be legally owned sex-slaves, I'm cool wit' it.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
          waiting for mokmok to call end products of genetic engineering "abominations..."

well anyway, the first thing to enter my mind everytime this topic is mentioned is andrew niccol's film GATTACA... excellent piece of work...
          "no good sir, they are angels with a bad attitude."

-mokmokforbrains.

Comment

I'm pretty happy eating X-men corn. I love eating those mutant freaks. Well, I believe you can restart whatever components are dormant in chicken DNA to have it develop its previous dinosaur traits. I have a book on this, but I haven't read it. Apparently, dino DNA, or any DNA for that matter, only lasts about 5 million years. Therefore, we cannot get dinosaurs this way. I am excited if there ever is a real Jurassic Park. It would be pretty cool to play out the first Jurassic Park movie in real life. I mean every part of the movie, too. Like, hiding from Velociraptors in the kitchen or being chased by a T-Rex. But, it has to be a controlled environment. Like, if they are about to eat me, they have get shot and killed.

Comment

Coming soon to a reality near you:

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post

I think in the future it will be exactly like Gattaca, it seems inevitable. That film is truly ahead of its time and probably won't be truly appreciated until stuff like that starts happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
                  Everyone is familiar with genetically modified food, but did everyone here also know that animals, even humans can be genetically altered to look different or be developed by unconventional means.

For instance, in theory genetic engineering can recreate dinosaurs either through cloning or merging species together to form a similar result. Theoretically it is even possible to recreate a centaur (you know the half man, half horse fella) if done correctly. Such species are called chimeras or hybrids. Obviously, mankind is only in the early stages of this technology, but do not be surprised if one day a theme park like Jurassic Park actually becomes a reality. Many of the creatures you hear about in Greek myths, like the three headed dog, centaurs, pans, and Minotaurs are not that far from reality as once believed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parahuman

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...e-chicken.html
                  What you quoted is equivalent to the theory that one day man will be able to colonize other planets. Genetic engineering is a good thing as long as it doesn't involve agriculture and the human genome.

One would only have to look to GMO's to realize, that genetic engineering in the hands of man\mankind is like giving a five year old a shotgun and sending him out to play with other kids.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                    What you quoted is equivalent to the theory that one day man will be able to colonize other planets. Genetic engineering is a good thing as long as it doesn't involve agriculture and the human genome.

One would only have to look to GMO's to realize, that genetic engineering in the hands of man\mankind is like giving a five year old a shotgun and sending him out to play with other kids.
                    Genetic engineering in foods? Does that include cross-pollinating, selective breeding or any of the other things humans have done to turn barely palatable foods into ones that are better for us? Or is it only magic-science GM?

Comment

Working...
                    X