Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's dominating mma ? whites ? blacks ? asians ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's dominating mma ? whites ? blacks ? asians ?

Here's something interesting. Some guy over at the boxing forum said:

"there are hardly any black MMA fighters..the ones the were are champs (silva) or were champs (jackson)"

In the thread titled "White fighters are taking over Boxing "

Which is bull****. And that's the sad thing about 90% of people who are watching this sport.

In reality , this sport has some striking resemblance to soccer. (not the sport itself of course) but by the racial makeup. MMA is one of the most racially diversified sport you can imagine.

But it is easy to think that "there's just whites" since Dana White and his monopoly of the sport gives you a distored vision of the entire mma scene.

Some basic facts.

In this sport. Some of the most dominant fighters are

Kid Yamamoto (asian - japanese)
    Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (latino Brazilian)
    Anderson Silva (black brazilian)
    BJ Penn ( from Kailua hawaii - american)
    GSP (french canadian)
    Fedor emelianenko (russian)

These guys are part of the P4P list...you can't argue and say that it ain't diversified.

The problem is that most none white participants aren't generally fighting in the # 1 american mma org (which happens to be the ufc). Although they're making an effort.

Pride fc (before the scandal) had one of the most international mma scene imaginable. They used to reflect how the mma scene truely was.

In mma , if you look at all orgs , (not just america)....You'll notice lots of mullatos , blacks (who generally come from brazil)...Lots of japanese fighters (who are almost absent in the ufc) , some latinos , some eastern europeans & of course , white americans.

Hell , i'd go even as far as to say that if we compare Ali's or Tyson's or Wlad's competition to let's say...Nogueira you'll notice that Nog's competition is WAY more "international"

Go ahead , do the experience. Take a look at foreman's or ali's record.
    90% if not 95M% of their opponents ? born in america
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...0180&cat=boxer
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...0090&cat=boxer
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...7035&cat=boxer

Modern HWs have to deal with a bit more diversified scene though.
    (remember , russians used to be banned from participating several years ago)

Let's compare shall we ? Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira had to deal with opponents coming from:
    America
    Brazil
    croatia
    Japan
    Poland
    Russia
    canada
    Netherlands

Think that's a lot ? Fedor had to deal with opponents coming from:
    America
    Korea
    New Zealand
    Brazil
    Croatia
    japan
    trinidad
    lithuania
    england
    bulgaria
    georgia

of course , when the average fan doesn't know any better , and discovers mma via Liddell (for example)...He won't see too much of that "international" scene.

Liddell , for example fought guys from
    america (of course..and lots of them)
    brazil
    armenia
    netherland

People are dominating MMA.

A lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Burnell View Post

A lot of them.
      for real.. too many race threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Burnell View Post
        So true. Notice all these people hung up on 'MMA=white people' bs always overlook the large number of Brazilian fighters in MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          So true. Notice all these people hung up on 'MMA=white people' bs always overlook the large number of Brazilian fighters in MMA.
          Wow, where have you been. LOL. But I agree with you. I hate getting that, "are you a redneck" comment just because I watch MMA. I'm always having to defend myself and the people who watch it when saying "No i'm not, but some are". People who do and don't watch it have no respect for what it's really about.

It's not about two people on the ground "dry humping" each other or two guys brawling punch for punch in the ring. It's way more then that and the average fan and ignorant viewers have to realize that...It's a number of different combative arts that have been here for many years and made into one mixed martial arts style, (hence MMA) which people don't understand...It wasn't created by Dana nor is it just for white people...

To the thread maker- good thread but I would have taken out the "black and white" option and just added American since it plays out better for arguements sake...
          Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-21-2008, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Yeah there are a lot of people who are almost willfully ignorant about MMA.

I mean it's only relatively recently that MMA has become big in the US, people who make comments such as "MMA is a sport for white guys" have absolutely no idea about the history of the sport, as for a very long time it was dominated by Japanese and Brazilian fighters, and those countries were the main hotbeds for MMA.

Comment

i don't give a **** about their race.
              i only care about good fighters.

Comment

Exactly, the best fighters are dominating because they're are the best, colour has **** all to do with it. Bringing one's race into question with regards to sports in general is sad and played out. Surely people as a whole hav come further along than that instead of having to create discussion based on ideologies that are old and ignorant.

Comment

^ sad, yes. but its not going away anytime soon. even though everybody is mixed with something. still seen as black,white,asian. doesnt matter i'm half this,quarter that, just b,w,a.

Comment

Human race...

Comment

Working...
                    X