Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Pops in the 83 Saint Louis Golden Gloves!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by American Dream View Post
    hey Coach..my dad said he knows your pops..he said they used to call him spiderweb...he talks highly of him..said he was 5/10 and fought at 140(139) and was real good..said he worked with Ben Stewart..and fought on same team as Tony Pruitt
    ..props..
    LOL. That is crazy! Yes, they did used to call him SpiderWebb. Big Ben did train him, Ben used to have me on the heavy bag when I was a little kid.

I remember Tony too, he died some years back though, his wife shot and killed him. I actually went to the funeral with my dad. Anyways, good to hear this though!

Comment

Originally posted by COACH-WEBB View Post
      Yo, here are a few Youtube videos from the 83 Saint Louis Golden Gloves. My pops is fighting Tony Martin (who went on to be no too bad as a pro). My dad is in the white. It was a good fight, they went at it. Tony caught my dad with a nice shot that sent him down. But pops got up and went to war with him! My dad won the fight. But let me know what you think!

Vincent Webb vs. Tony Martin - 139

Rounds 1 & 2

Round 3

Good stuff coach webb! Did you ever try this?

Comment

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
        Good stuff coach webb! Did you ever try this?
        I didn't get far

He had me in the gym at a young age, then directed me to other sports.

I'm still mad

I'm joking.

Comment

LOL. That is crazy! Yes, they did used to call him SpiderWebb. Big Ben did train him, Ben used to have me on the heavy bag when I was a little kid.

I remember Tony too, he died some years back though, his wife shot and killed him. I actually went to the funeral with my dad. Anyways, good to hear this though!
          That's a cool story man

You're a good poster and an assett on here

Comment

yeah I remember when Tony died..sometime back in the 90s..my dad went to the funeral too..I was young so I dont remember all of it..but i remember when it happened..very sad..
            anyways I had a hunch he may know him cause my dad competed in the GG some years before in STL..small world!

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
              That's a cool story man

You're a good poster and an assett on here
              Thanks PK.

Comment

Originally posted by American Dream View Post
                yeah I remember when Tony died..sometime back in the 90s..my dad went to the funeral too..I was young so I dont remember all of it..but i remember when it happened..very sad..
                anyways I had a hunch he may know him cause my dad competed in the GG some years before in STL..small world!
                Yep, very small world!

Comment

Nice post, they say the apple never falls too far from the tree even if you took another. Sorry to hear about the NFL try out hiccup. Did you ever continue to pursue that dream? My half brother played fullback for the chiefs and raiders. What position did you play?

Comment

would give green k but i need to spread around some more first
                    thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Championart View Post
                      Nice post, they say the apple never falls too far from the tree even if you took another. Sorry to hear about the NFL try out hiccup. Did you ever continue to pursue that dream? My half brother played fullback for the chiefs and raiders. What position did you play?
                      Yes, I did. I had a long rehab on my hamstring because I pulled it pretty badly. The next year I worked out for them again, but they ended up drafting Mike Hart from Michigan in the 7th round if I'm not mistaken. I played on an arena team last season, but I got hurt and tore my meniscus. So...that didn't go too well, and I played Running Back.

Comment

Working...
                      X