Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Early Prizefighter Results: Ekundayo Shocks Craig McEwan!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Early Prizefighter Results: Ekundayo Shocks Craig McEwan!

In a major upset, unheralded Nigerian junior middleweight Larry Ekundayo (3-0, 1 KO), whose overall oppponents' record in the first two professional fights was no better than 3-30, scored a shocking split nod over heavy favorite Craig McEwan (21-3, 10 KOs). Both fighters fought on even terms through three rounds, and the decisive factor was a cut over the left eye, suffered by the Scottsman in the first round. Phil Edwards and Richie Davis had it 29-28 - for the Nigerian, while Victor Loughlin scored it 29-28 - for McEwan. BoxingScene was in agreement with the first two judges. Larry Ekundayo is through to the semifinals of this Prizefighter series.

[Click Here To Read More]

Sorry - but i'm not shocked.

Comment

I don't know anything about the guy that beat him, but this is the risk with Prizefighter. 3 rounds is no way to prove who the better fighter is.

Comment

Craig should have won, unless this Nigerian is some reincarnation of Ali or something, with the experience that Craig has had, the only reason I can think of him losing is that he got lazy and underestimated his opponent.I'm pretty sure this is a career killer.

Comment

I don't understand why anyone half decent would go in these things

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            I don't understand why anyone half decent would go in these things
            Agree. Although Ekundayo looks a pretty good fighter, 10-round rematch with McEwan would be good.

Comment

Larry is the man, beat McEwan like it was nothing. But it's true that 3 rounders aren't a great measure of ability. I remember Danny Williams lost in his first Prizefighter bout against a giant who was a nobody. If it was a 10 rounder Williams would probably knock him out.

Comment

Same thing happened to Kevin Johnson; thought he would get some quick money and pump up his record, instead he ruined the possible opportunities gained by beating Laipai

Comment

Missed the Q-Finals of this and couldn't believe McEwan lost to a guy with two pro fights. How good an amateur was Ekundayo?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                    Missed the Q-Finals of this and couldn't believe McEwan lost to a guy with two pro fights. How good an amateur was Ekundayo?
                    I heard on the commentary that he was amultiple-time Nigerian champ who has had a lot of issues with going pro, which is why it took him so late. Early days, but he looks excellent.

Comment

Working...
                    X