Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: So, Antonio Margarito Fans… Was It Worth It?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: So, Antonio Margarito Fans… Was It Worth It?

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - So, to all those insistent Antonio Margarito fans out there… how y’all feeling today?

Headaches gone away? Vision still a little blurry? Able to eat any solid food yet?

I’ll type slowly, in case you’re still a little woozy from Saturday night.

And if you get the sense that I’m feeling no sympathy, you’re right.

Bet you’re looking back between the Tylenols to the glory days when your man was blowing out the grimy underbelly of the welterweight division, prompting the breathless to sing his praises as the pedestrian WBO title defenses – Lujan, Cintron, Gomez, Clottey – piled up like cord wood.

I remember it reached a noisy crescendo the night he bludgeoned Miguel Cotto into surrender in 2008, and I can still recall sitting in my in-laws’ house in Tennessee – listening to the broadcast crew infer that somehow this was the guy striking fear into the heart of a then-sabbaticaled Floyd Mayweather Jr.

We all know I’m a Floyd guy. And I make no apologies for it.

But even the objective journalist type in me that night was thinking: “This dude? Really?”

I’ll bet it feels like about a thousand years ago now, huh?

A subsequent match with Shane Mosley looked like a win-win cakewalk six months after Cotto, designed to give gruff but lovable “Tony” a chance to spike the resume with a big name whose last significant win in the division was by then already more than eight years past tense.

But a funny thing [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Lyle Fitzsimmons - So, to all those insistent Antonio Margarito fans out there… how y’all feeling today?

Headaches gone away? Vision still a little blurry? Able to eat any solid food yet?

I’ll type slowly, in case you’re still a little woozy from Saturday night.

And if you get the sense that I’m feeling no sympathy, you’re right.

Bet you’re looking back between the Tylenols to the glory days when your man was blowing out the grimy underbelly of the welterweight division, prompting the breathless to sing his praises as the pedestrian WBO title defenses – Lujan, Cintron, Gomez, Clottey – piled up like cord wood.

I remember it reached a noisy crescendo the night he bludgeoned Miguel Cotto into surrender in 2008, and I can still recall sitting in my in-laws’ house in Tennessee – listening to the broadcast crew infer that somehow this was the guy striking fear into the heart of a then-sabbaticaled Floyd Mayweather Jr.

We all know I’m a Floyd guy. And I make no apologies for it.

But even the objective journalist type in me that night was thinking: “This dude? Really?”

I’ll bet it feels like about a thousand years ago now, huh?

A subsequent match with Shane Mosley looked like a win-win cakewalk six months after Cotto, designed to give gruff but lovable “Tony” a chance to ****e the resume with a big name whose last significant win in the division was by then already more than eight years past tense.

But a funny thing [Click Here To Read More]

Feeling Pretty Good , Im glad Tony didn't get Ko or Took a Knee or Corner threw in the Towel for Sure. Margarito A warrior with a Big Heart .

Comment

Hes a self proclaimed floyd guy. That means he loves to play the race card. They all do.

Comment

This is the first time ive seen an article taking shots at a fighters fans.
        Seems a bit weird.

Comment

Beautifully written!Great article!!!lol...

Comment

Just stop, Sdboxing. The writer is calling out margarito for his loaded gloves.

Comment

Damn, ripping Marg fans left and right

Comment

Articles like this need to stay off boxing scene. At least in the writers section. Bias and opinions is what the forum is for. This is extremely unprofessional. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from Fitzimmons.

Comment

Originally posted by SdBoxingFan83 View Post

Feeling really butthurt , Im glad Tony didn't get Ko or Took a Knee or Corner threw in the Towel for Sure. Margarito A warrior with a Big Heart and i still love him because we are from the same country
                  Fixed it for you

Comment

Sdboxing, you were pretty quick on the retraction of your post there. I'll save it for posterity.

Comment

Working...
                    X