Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Deconstructing Mayweather-Cotto Ep. 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: 'Fighting Words' – Deconstructing Mayweather-Cotto Ep. 1

by David P. Greisman - This is not about the fight — yet.

“Mayweather-Cotto 24/7,” the latest in HBO’s line of documentary/infomercial mini-series preceding its biggest boxing pay-per-view offerings, is not yet about the fight contained within its title.

That is because these series aren’t really about us.

We, the boxing hardcore of the world, were sold the moment the match was announced. This marketing effort is done for the rest, for those who aren’t immediately drawn in.

They’re not sold solely on style pairings and the possibility of a great fight. Otherwise, the rematch between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo wouldn’t have bombed on pay-per-view. Otherwise, the trilogy of battles between Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez would have been the highest rated boxing broadcasts in years.

Those other people are sold on spectacle and personality, on the must-see nature of an event and on the must-follow characters who will play roles in it.

This is not about us. This is not an old-school HBO “Countdown” designed to get us excited the week before a big bout. This is a slow sale — introducing viewers to the players, then interesting the viewers in who they are, then intriguing the viewers on what could happen, then getting the viewers intent on being buyers.

Let’s see how HBO’s sales pitch via the first episode of “Mayweather-Cotto 24/7 went. With a nod to syndicated columnist Norman Chad, I took notes: [Click Here To Read More]

Good line by Diaz: "Invincible men only exist in the movies"

Comment

Mayweather going to lose

Comment

Favorite part of the episode was seeing how Diaz runs Team Cotto.

Get up early.

Comment

That Margarito victory was everything to him...

Comment

Cotto was right to leave Steward for the mang from Cuba.

This cuban trainer has the right attitude, Cotto has connected with this guy , Cotto will have his best shot with him against JR.

He is absolutely right about no one is invincible.

Floyd Mayweather JR has been extremely fortunate in fighting guys like Corrales who was so down on his luck, out of shape, going to prison, facing guys who just weren't on top of their game ,,Balto, Gatti ect... when he was faced with top guys like back in 08 namely Cotto , who then was top of the pile , Jr conveniently went on vacation or retired. Then Margo and Cotto beat each other to death and now JR wants to fight him.

shaking my head

I hope to see the Cuban trainer send in his man with the right plan and put a hurt on MR. Mayweather.

But,

IT shall be a tough night for MR. COTTO

Comment

Could somebody tell me what the FLYING F..K, 50 is doing on the 24/7, and please dont give me the lame excuse that hes Floyds boy! This dude aint even rappin no more, come on!!!!!

Comment

floyd talks more about 50 than that fine ass shantel

Comment

Originally posted by -TITAN- View Post
                  floyd talks more about 50 than that fine ass shantel
                  50's a popular artist and his best friend. Shantel is his fiance that appears to be camera shy.

Not sure what you're implying but it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by twosweethooks View Post
                    Cotto was right to leave Steward for the mang from Cuba.

This cuban trainer has the right attitude, Cotto has connected with this guy , Cotto will have his best shot with him against JR.

He is absolutely right about no one is invincible.

Floyd Mayweather JR has been extremely fortunate in fighting guys like Corrales who was so down on his luck, out of shape, going to prison, facing guys who just weren't on top of their game ,,Balto, Gatti ect... when he was faced with top guys like back in 08 namely Cotto , who then was top of the pile , Jr conveniently went on vacation or retired. Then Margo and Cotto beat each other to death and now JR wants to fight him.

shaking my head

I hope to see the Cuban trainer send in his man with the right plan and put a hurt on MR. Mayweather.

But,

IT shall be a tough night for MR. COTTO
                    Floyd is invincible, point blank period...if he would have fought Cotto when HE was in his prime, he would have beat him up more than he is about to! Im sorry, but No one is beating Mayweather except Andre Ward, but he is too big!

Comment

Working...
                    X