The greatest/funniest boxing quotes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest/funniest boxing quotes?

" A champion is someone who gets up when they can't " - Jack Dempsey

" To be a champion you have to belive in yourself when no-one else does " - Sugar Ray Robinson.

Funniest.

" No I don't think his hands can take the abuse " - Tex Cobb ; On a possible rematch with Holmes.

"You can run but you can't hide" - Joe Louis

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die" - Joe Louis

"The bigger they are the harder they fall" - 'Barbados Demon' Joe Walcott

"If they cut my bald head open, they will find one big boxing glove. That's all I am. I live it." --Marvin Hagler

" A bad heart? The son of a ***** doesn't have a heart" - Ray Arcel on rumors that Duran had a bad heart going into the Leonard fight.

"I fought Sugar Ray so many times I'm lucky I didn't get diabetes" Jack LaMotta

"To me, boxing is like a ballet - except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other" - Jack Handy

"When I came into boxing, I brought it to the next level with adverts and doing pantomime and people just got jealous of me doing that" -
    Frank Bruno

"I was in a no-win situation, so I'm glad that I won rather than lost" Frank Bruno

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious." Alan Minter

Comment

Much Appreciated NChristo, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
        Much Appreciated NChristo, Thanks.
        No problem, George Foreman has came out too many funny quotes to type, you should watch these:

Comment

" HE'S BROKE HIS LEG! " lol.

Comment

Larry merchant and jim lampley are the biggest cheer leaders in the world. I can't ****ing stand them. They have the nerve to try and correct foreman, and the nerve to critique actual fighters. All commentators should be former boxers or top trainers. I can't ****ing stand these disrespectful punks.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
              Larry merchant and jim lampley are the biggest cheer leaders in the world. I can't ****ing stand them. They have the nerve to try and correct foreman, and the nerve to critique actual fighters. All commentators should be former boxers or top trainers. I can't ****ing stand these disrespectful punks.
              Foreman was far from a perfect commentator. I loved him just because he was so damn funny, but watch the Toney-Barkley fight. He seemed to think that every puncher could hit like he could. He actually said that Toney landing seven punch combinations flush was a bad strategy because he was tiring himself up and opening himself up for exchanges. Just because Lampley and Merchant never fought doesn't mean they don't know anything about boxing. Most of us here were never fighters, but we still comment and discuss, right? And a lot of us have valid points. Some, not so much, and I'm not suggesting we could all do ringside, but ot's not as if a background in boxing makes you a great commentator. Look at Lennox Lewis, who was very mediocre. And "the nerve to critique actual fighters?" After you just accused them of being cheerleaders? What do you want them to do, talk about the weather?

Also, I really laughed at when Hopkins said that both he and Hagler would have gone to the emergency room had they fought, Hagler said "yeah, I would have made sure he was ok."
              Last edited by BigStereotype; 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM.

Comment

A reporter to Carmen Basilio - "I've pulled 10 sport writers from around the nation here, 9 of them pick Sugar Ray to win by a knockout tonight, what's your answer to that?".... "9 of 'em are wrong".

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
                  " A champion is someone who gets up when they can't " - Jack Dempsey

" To be a champion you have to belive in yourself when no-one else does " - Sugar Ray Robinson.

Funniest.

" No I don't think his hands can take the abuse " - Tex Cobb ; On a possible rematch with Holmes.
                  Hey M, just wanted to ask about your little quote under your name. Did you know that if you fall down seven times, you can only get up seven times too? If you fall down seven times and get up seven times it still means you have gotten up after the last one. Ya dig?

Or am I missing something there?

Comment

You need to get up in the morning to start off...idk
                    It's a Japanese Proverb it's just to symbolise the overcoming of adversity even though it cannot or does not make sense.
                    lol

Comment

Working...
                    X