Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can People STOP Calling Mayweather a PURE BOXER?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shogunn View Post
    I agree with this, but he is more textbook compared to someone like RJJ.

And on that note, alot of people think he's the perfect pure boxer, just because most of the time he has his hands up in the text book position with his right hand at his cheek. They see that and scream pure boxer.

But his potshots and slip/duck counters arent in the pure boxing manual, thats credited to floyd

I dont think there are too many of these "pure boxers" anymore anyway, youll likely see them in amateurs, when they turn pro they have no choice but to develop their own style. Mostly every boxer eventually lose their form anyway. Id have to say Floyd is more textbook/pureboxer than most.
    I don't agree with your conclusion but imo this is the most non biased intelligent post I've scene from you !!!

Green K on the way

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
      Some of you people on here are such noobs to boxing. That's the only way to explain this phenomenon.

Howard Davis Jr., Muhammad Ali, SRR to an extent, Pernell Whitaker, SRL sometimes, and Willie Pep are PURE boxers. Which means they'll dance around their opponent, with the jab popping all night. These fighters are not really reflexive fighters, although sometimes they are off the jab.

Mayweather is more of a counterpuncher, he's very unorthodox in that he leads with his right hand a lot, leaps in with the left hook, but sometimes he switches his style completely.

Even Max Kellerman partakes in this stupid phenomenon, grab a boxing book and watch some boxing. Kellerman doesn't know anything about boixng.
      If being unorthodox means you can't be a pureboxer you should'nt name Pep..

Comment

I always thought the definition of a pure boxer was the ability to hit and not get hit, if that is the case then wouldn't Mayweather be considered an all time great boxer?

Comment

terms like infighter and out boxer and brawler have lost their meaning in boxing today. if u r stuck in one style of fighting you are doomed. no1 in the game today is a pure boxer. and most of those dudes u named in your post werent pure boxers either. but floyd is the closest anyone today comes to being what is termed "pure boxer".

Comment

The Most boring "Pure Boxer" of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by nikeeric View Post
              I always thought the definition of a pure boxer was the ability to hit and not get hit, if that is the case then wouldn't Mayweather be considered an all time great boxer?
              I was thinking the same ****

Comment

Originally posted by Cash Cow View Post
                I was thinking the same ****
                I agree but through 99% of "pure boxing" history, pure boxers use jabs and move around a lot.

Comment

What have you even seen Pernell Whitaker fight? And your going to call him non-reflexive? Wow that's wow of the craziest things I've ever heard. Sweat Peas best asset was probably his reflexes. The way he bobbed and weaved punches.

Mayweather basically mostly only throws jabs and straight which your trying to say all those other guys were. They were just more active and more offensive.

Comment

Wladimir Klitschko is a PURE BOXER. textbook boxing. he is actually the best example i can come up with. agree anyone?

Comment

So what the definition of a pure boxer? Lennox lewis?

Comment

Working...
                      X