No announcement yet.

Talk to me about Jose Luis Lopez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about Jose Luis Lopez

How come Tito or Oscar didn't fight El Maestrito?

Lopez was a good puncher and very strong, but he flamed out too quickly to be ducked by those guys. He deserved to lose against Quartey (a draw) and lost a clear decision (in a great fight) to James Page. Lopez had a lot of talent and could have been a big time player with better conditioning and focus.

Comment

I loved watching Jose Luis Lopez, the first time i saw him fight was when he fought Ramon Campas at the Sports Arena in L.A.
      I thought he was going to get sparked with the quickness but he went toe to toe with Campas (had everybody in attendance on their feet) and made Yori Boy quit.
      Great chin, great power and could have done so much more but he liked to smoke weed, party and surf which is good for him because it is his life and that is what he chose to do.
      I think he had a comeback fight in Mexico this year and retired on his stool after the 6th round or something

Comment

A huge waste of talent.

Was a huge puncher with both hands and could rip off combos like a sonofa*****. Had a chin of steel, too. But, thos gifts meant little in the long run because he never trained hard enough to maximize those gifts.

Had he been in shape and able to let his hands go more consistently he'd have easily KO'd James Page. He hurt Page every time he hit him while Page's best barely made him blink.

Comment

He had quite a run. If I remember correctly he test positive for pot in the Campas fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Lopez was a good puncher and very strong, but he flamed out too quickly to be ducked by those guys. He deserved to lose against Quartey (a draw) and lost a clear decision (in a great fight) to James Page. Lopez had a lot of talent and could have been a big time player with better conditioning and focus.
            Yeah, the Quartey fight was no good. Quartey lost too many decisions he definitely deserved to win. Instead of an excellent career he could have been a HOFer but was just screwed over a couple too many times and each time it happened he felt so frustrated and angry because he disappeared. The only fight that he probably lost properly was the Vargas fight. All the others the majority thought he won clearly. Obviously the Oscar fight was closest but most still felt he won enough rounds to take it. The Forrest fight was simply an utter disgrace.
            After fights like that, it's impossible not to understand how he must have felt.

The Page fight was very frustrating. Great fight, but both guys had major flaws which could have won them the fight easier. Lopez and his laziness and Page and his disregard for a good jab and defense. He only needed to move his head and take a step to the side to ward off an incoming Lopez, when Lopez actually decided to punch, and he would have had to reset and start again. The jab, when Page used it, was very effective but he kept throwing lead hooks and his signature right lead, straight left while leaping in. Dangerous. If Lopez was a little more active on counter he could have taken out page coming in wide open. That ref was terrible too. That had to be one of the worst calls in boxing history. How could he have thought it was a knockdown? So bad it's actually funny.
            Last edited by BennyST; 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
              X