Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are old school fighters better than present day fighters??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no need to talk about harry greb butt raping guys, unless by butt raping you mean kicked their asses in a boxing ring.

Comment

Well, I know what my nightmares are going to be about now

Thank you, gents

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        Funny you mention conditioning when "old school" fighters went 15 rounds without a problem in championship fights and all too many of today's fighters start gassing out half way through a 12 rounder.

Poet
        I mean conditioning in like a strength and conditioning sense. James Toney can go 12 rounds all day, doesn't mean he is conditioned he just spars alot. I get away with going long periods with not alot of road work because i spar alot, old timers sparred and fought alot more so they were able to do it, doesn't mean they were as strong and fast as people now a days.

Strength and conditioning, and nutrition have developed leaps and bounds since back then.

Comment

after several studies done on amature boxers, its found that the main areas that are taxed are VO2, lactate, and heart rate. thus the most important things to train are VO2 max, lactate threshold, and resting heart rate.

the best way to train all of these at once??????

3 mins at 80% max intensity with 1 min break.

everything that people claim as the new and great revalations of todays training and nutrition, do more to cement that what boxers were doing 100 years ago really are the best things they could have been doing.

if you think abotu it, you got plyo's boxers have been doing these forever, medicine ball ploys were a mainstay in jeffries camp, and chopping down trees (sledge hammer tire training) is somthing boxers probly do even today.

you got fartleks, aka interval sprinting, that fiitzsimmons used to do between every other telephone pole.

you look at mayweather doing high reps with light weight, low and behold, both corbett and sullivan reccommended a exercise routine for arms shoulders and back using 2-5 lb weights and 40+ reps.

about the only thing you dont have is the olympic style lifting is better then anything else you can do to be a boxer attitude. which while it hasnt been disproven as useful, it has been proven unnecessiary for decades with some of the greatest boxers of all time having nothing to do with such training.
          Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-22-2012, 03:42 AM.

Comment

I think the skill level has declined dramatically over the last 20 years or so, and had been declining steadily for 20 or 30 years before that. Of course there are exceptions, guys that would have been competitive, even stood out, in any era, and, if you notice, most of them fight in an "old-school" style.
            Really, as was noted above, there is nothing new in boxing. I think now that there is too much attention paid to conditioning the body, as opposed to conditioning the mind and body to box, if that makes any sense. The quality of boxing education available has declined because there aren't as many good trainers around.
            Boxing used to be a much harder activity to be involved in. In the old days they sparred with 8oz gloves and little or no head gear: When you made a mistake you got hurt and you learned. Now with pillow gloves and pillow head gear, learning takes longer, if it comes at all.

Comment

Simple as old school fighters always want to fight the best... no matter of risks, now the ones who are great fighters made Ducking an art form.

Comment

Originally posted by PiXelElite View Post
                Simple as old school fighters always want to fight the best... no matter of risks, now the ones who are great fighters made Ducking an art form.
                Not always the case. The past eras had it's fair share of "risk minimizing" to a certain degree.

Comment

Originally posted by PiXelElite View Post
                  ever heard of the "bum of the month club"

Comment

Originally posted by larryx1950 View Post
                    ever heard of the "bum of the month club"
                    Not really relevant considering Joe Louis never ducked anyone, besides the fact the term was coined due to the easiness of which Louis dispatched his opponents who in this instance were actually ranked fighters...

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post

Strength and conditioning, and nutrition have developed leaps and bounds since back then.
                      Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X