Collapse
No announcement yet.

How highly do you rate James Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

james toney, is the last of a dying breed, when it comes to throwback fighters...great chin, combinations, countering, etc....without ever being questioned about being a dirty fighter...scary when you think of what james toney, could have accomplished in titles/legacy, had he not had the weight/training issues...

Comment

Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
      Toney wasn't quick at middleweight?

Toney had good hand speed, especially in combinations.

He's coordination from slipping punches to countering beautifully with speed and within the pocket is part of his raw talent and gifts if you will.

You could try and teach Ricky Hatton those skills for the best of a century and he wouldn't be able to do it.

Hence James Toney was gifted and a raw talent.

he was very much a talent, but if you're talking about the most physically gifted fighters of all time he doesn't really warrant a mention. roy jones, muhammad ali, sugar ray leonard, these are among the most physically gifted fighters of all time, and toney doesn't have physical gifts on that level.

if you're talking about the mental gifts that a fighter possesses, then i would probably agree with you in saying that he's among the most gifted. he has a fighter's constitution. he had incredible timing and reflexes, both offensively and defensively. he blended defense with offense as well as it can be done. boxing appeared natural to him. he sparred an ungodly amount.

and he has one of the best chins you will ever see.

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post
        James Toney was a great fighter, but in my opinion steroids cheats shouldn't be inducted into the HOF
        was balboa ever tested?????

Comment

I'm with whoever bashes Toney. The man is a cheat. Caught using steroids. Should have been banned for life or a number of years as is the case in any other sports yet he is treated like a hero. He beat very good fighters but we don't know how many of those fights were unfair. Now he is a vulgar, fat slob. End of story.

Comment

Working...
          X