Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McCain Health Plan Could Mean Higher Tax

By KEVIN SACK and MICHAEL COOPER
    Published: May 1, 2008

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Though Senator John McCain has promised to not raise taxes, his campaign acknowledged Wednesday that the health plan he outlined this week would have the effect of increasing tax payments for some workers, primarily those with high incomes and expensive health plans.

The campaign cannot yet project how many taxpayers might see their taxes go up, said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, Mr. McCain’s top domestic policy adviser. But Mr. Holtz-Eakin said in an interview that for some, Mr. McCain’s health care tax credits would not be large enough to compensate for his proposal to eliminate the tax breaks afforded to workers with employer-provided health benefits

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/us.../01mccain.html

Here is another source, more opinionated but still accurate:

McCain wants to Tax your Benefits; up to 20 million may lose company-paid healthcare

Posted on September 17th, 2008 by Dan Chmielewski

The McCain camp consistently and incorrectly talks up how Senator Obama will raise taxes on everyone making over $42,000 a year. That’s wrong of course, and in side-by-side comparisions of the Obama Tax Plan vs. McCain’s, the typical American benefits much more from the Obama Plan. Be sure to look at the chart in the WaPo story and see how it applies to you. Or jump to the next page to see the chart.

What the Arizona geezer hasn’t come out and said is that he plans to raise taxes too. While not calling it a Tax increase, the McCain plan would start taxing the value of your company-paid healthcare. And while the plans call for giving taxpayers a healthcare tax credit, experts says its not nearly enough to offset the higher tax and would diminish the value of shared healthcare plans as younger (healthier) workers opt out of the system leaving older (less healthly, more expensive) workers with less choice and more expensive plans delivering less service.

http://www.theliberaloc.com/2008/09/...id-healthcare/

All you repubican supporters, stop being so damn party loyal. They're fooling you into voting for them every time promising less government and no taxes which is not true. WHEN they DO tax you, it's for something that isn't productive to your life like unecessary wars being funded. Yeah keep spending money on that, just don't invest in early education for children or college or healthcare. Things that matter.
    Last edited by Vladimir303; 09-21-2008, 08:27 PM.

Comment

"MR. Conservative" Barry Goldwater's grandaughter and her family endorse Barack Obama.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cc-gol..._b_137150.html

Why McCain Has Lost Our Vote

Myself, along with my siblings and a few cousins, will not be supporting the Republican presidential candidates this year. We believe strongly in what our grandfather stood for: honesty, integrity, and personal freedom, free from political maneuvering and fear tactics. I learned a lot about my grandfather while producing the documentary, Mr. Conservative Goldwater on Goldwater. Our generation of Goldwaters expects government to provide for constitutional protections. We reject the constant intrusion into our personal lives, along with other crucial policy issues of the McCain/Palin ticket.

My grandfather (Paka) would never suggest denying a woman's right to choose. My grandmother co-founded Planned Parenthood in Arizona in the 1930's, a cause my grandfather supported. I'm not sure about how he would feel about marriage rights based on same-sex orientation. I think he would feel that love and respect for ones privacy is what matters most and not the intolerance and poor judgment displayed by McCain over the years. Paka respected our civil liberties and passed on the message that that we should conduct our lives standing up for the basic freedoms we hold so dear.

For a while, there were several candidates who aligned themselves with the Goldwater version of Conservative thought. My grandfather had undying respect for the U.S. Constitution, and an understanding of its true meanings.

There always have been a glimmer of hope that someday, someone would "race through the gate" full steam in Goldwater style. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened, and the Republican brand has been tarnished in a shameless effort to gain votes and appeal to the lowest emotion, fear. Nothing about McCain, except for maybe a uniform, compares to the same ideology of what Goldwater stood for as a politician. The McCain/Palin plan is to appear diverse and inclusive, using women and minorities to push an agenda that makes us all financially vulnerable, fearful, and less safe.

When you see the candidate's in political ads, you can't help but be reminded of the 1964 presidential campaign of Johnson/Goldwater, the 'origin of spin', that twists the truth and obscures what really matters. Nothing about the Republican ticket offers the hope America needs to regain it's standing in the world, that's why we're going to support Barack Obama. I think that Obama has shown his ability and integrity.

After the last eight years, there's a lot of clean up do. Roll up your sleeves, Senators Obama and Biden, and we Goldwaters will roll ours up with you.
      Last edited by Vladimir303; 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormin' Norman View Post
        You're really wasting your time with this thread, because the site consists of mainly liberals; which doesn't suprise me since Boxing is more cultured with hispanics and blacks, also mostly liberals by and large demographically. No Republican would ever change their mind, heh. Trust me. But, it's different with Democrats because those voters have more potential to switch over and vote McCain, just because of Palin. Palin is way hotter than Hillary as well, and that may win over many lesbian Democrat voters.

The truth is, by and large, more democrats will switch to McCain because of there being an extremely fresh, quality VP in Palin. But even if she were less qualified, the fact that she'd be breaking a huge glass ceiling is what many of the Democratic females would switch for, regardless of her views on abortion. You have to understand that they know you gotta break eggs to have an omelet, breaking the glass ceiling is what is most important to feminists...that comes before everything. Now, if you really think that the chance of Republicans voting for Obama because he picked a white VP are going to be anywhere near the number of Democrats voting McCain because he picked a woman VP, you simply are delusinonal. Gender is more powerful than race.
        Sarah Palin is the freak show before the main event. The Bob Sapp vs The Tiny Asian man. The Mike Tyson vs The Office Worker. She's something that fat Southerners can get a boner for. Nothing more. Anyone with half of a brain would vote against McCain-Palin. I live next door to an airport, so I can fly an air plane, right? I live next door to a hospital, so I can perform open heart surgery, right? Alaska is across the ocean from Russia, so Sarah Palin is a foreign policy expert, right?

Republicans piss me the **** off. Especially my father, the guy is almost 50 years old and still busts his ass for a few bucks 6 days a week. The Republican party never gave a **** about any of us outside of the oil industry. If you can afford to buy your 16 year old daughter a $50,000 car, go ahead and vote Republican, because you and your family doesn't know what it means to work and live.

This goes to all Republicans. You uneducated, racist ****ing ****s. Do something right in your life as an Evangelical Christian and vote for the Democrats. I understand that a big Republican issue is abortion, but do any Repubs understand that if you make Abortion illegal that you will have an even bigger percentage of abortion? Look at France, they have legal abortion, a system for single mothers including up to 12 months pay while pregnant and a free government nanny for the child after birth for up to 9 months. FREE. You save children by giving comfortable options, not TAKING THE RIGHT AWAY. France's abortion rate, 1%.

Do the right thing.

Comment

Working...
        X