No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Juan Manuel Lopez’ Demise? Greatly Exaggerated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Juan Manuel Lopez’ Demise? Greatly Exaggerated

By Thomas Gerbasi - When Juan Manuel Lopez touched down this week in Dallas, the site of his Saturday bout with WBO featherweight champion Mikey Garcia, it was hot. Texas hot. But it wasn’t about to faze the Caguas, Puerto Rico product. The way he sees it, it’s just business as usual.

“It’s really hot and it’s dry here,” said Lopez through translator Ricardo Jimenez. “A little different than Puerto Rico, but I’m used to the heat.”

His comment was literal, but it could also have been referring to his career, as 35 pro fights, two divisional world championships, and 11 world title fights could certainly qualify someone as being used to the heat.

Yet as he enters the fight with the unbeaten Garcia, it’s Lopez who is the underdog, the veteran who has apparently seen too many wars, despite being a couple weeks away from his 30th birthday. Unfortunately that’s the way boxing works these days. You want a fighter to be exciting, but when he is too exciting and loses a couple fights, he’s washed up, cannon fodder for the young guns. It’s an unusual position for “JuanMa” to be in, but he’s also been in the business long enough to accept the fickle nature of the fans and media. [Click Here To Read More]

Oh God you know he is really in trouble when the sympathy news pieces to make it seem like a competitive fight keep on coming from everywhere. The media, promoters, M Garcia Robert Garcia. I hope Juanma doesn't believe all of this it might get him hospitalized :/

Comment

Yeah, I don't see anything exaggerated about Juanma's demise. The kid had defensive liabilities to begin with, once he started getting beaten up it was bound to go down hill. Not to mention he never really had an iron chin or a great gas tank.
      Mikey is gonna blast Juanma, who will be relegated to a lesser role in the sport after this.

Comment

He looked horrible his last fight.

He will put up a fight but killed by the counters, hopefully I'm wrong and Juanma can make it fun.

Comment

Garcia fights nothing like Salido, he is not a pressure fighter that like to take his time. He just might give Juanma too much confidence to pressure.

Mikey is a solid technical fighter and if he is able to counterpunch effectively and Juanma has no answers he will win easily.

60-40 in favor of Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by DannYankee09 View Post
            Oh God you know he is really in trouble when the sympathy news pieces to make it seem like a competitive fight keep on coming from everywhere. The media, promoters, M Garcia Robert Garcia. I hope Juanma doesn't believe all of this it might get him hospitalized :/
            lol he's fighting Mikey Garcia. He'll live.

Comment

Mikey isn't a pressure fighter, but he can punch. I think Juanma will get caught with something vicious.

Comment

damm who the **** has garcia fought!to much credit 4 beating salido by quitting and going to the cards.

Comment

if juanma is able to avoid mikeys big punches and land his own,mikey is in trouble,he didn't look good when salido was coming on,yeah mikey hits hard,but I still wonder about him taking shots

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    Mikey isn't a pressure fighter, but he can punch. I think Juanma will get caught with something vicious.
                    earlier in his career he was a pressure fighter,threw a lot of punches,he changed his style,and I think he needs to pressure juanma,if he just stands there juanma will be comfortable and conserve a lot of enery,making it easier for him to land big punches on mikey

Comment

Working...
                    X