Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Dominick Guinn: The Resurrection of The Southern Disaster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Dominick Guinn: The Resurrection of The Southern Disaster

By Thomas Gerbasi - Apparently we weren’t the only ones who saw it. When Dominick Guinn was on the verge of big things in the heavyweight division from 2003 to 2006, only to lose winnable fights by turning off his hands in the midst of a bout, it wasn’t just the fans and the media wondering what was going on with “The Southern Disaster.” His close friends, including two world champions, saw it too.

“Vernon Forrest and Arturo Gatti, and other guys that I’ve had great conversations with, that was my entourage,” said Guinn. “They were warriors and they were the ones that always told me that if I let my hands go I would never be beaten. Arturo and Vernon used to tell me that all the time.”

Both Forrest and Gatti are gone now, both tragically dying within weeks of each other in July of 2009. But Guinn is still here, and on Saturday, the 38-year-old who has lost three of his last four bouts gets another chance to show the world how good he can be when he lets his hands go, or, as he used to say, “unleashes his demons.”

“I kind of got away from boxing and having fun, but I’m back to having fun and you’re gonna see on August 3rd,” said Guinn, who faces Tomasz Adamek in a televised bout at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut. “I’m just gonna go in there and let my boxing talk for itself and we’ll see who’s gonna put on the better show.”

[Click Here To Read More]

I use to be really high on this guy... I was wrong

Comment

Most appropriate nickname ever.. So disappointing that Dom never made it.

Comment

his potential was never realized, he's average@ best, the reason Adamek is fighting him...

Comment

He was never the same when the "0" went. The dokiwari & grant fights he looked like the real thing then he ran into monte barrett who was hot off a win over eric kirkland(prospect at time) & had lost a close fight to joe mesi. I don't think it was so much guinn having a bad night as it was monte barrett having a career night. Barrett turned his career around after the mesi & guinn fights. He got 2 world title shots. Guinn just hovered in mediocrity after that...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
            his potential was never realized, he's average@ best, the reason Adamek is fighting him...
            Well, that and the fact that they needed a last-minute opponent to replace the injured Grano with just weeks to go.

-David

Comment

I'm hoping Guinn "will let his hands go" as the article stated to make this an interesting (and hopefully entertaining) fight.

Comment

Grant and Dokiwari certainly aren't ever going to be on any HOF candidate lists, but I was really excited about the Southern Disaster after those two fights. He seemed like he really had what it took to become a breakout star in the HW division. How monumentally disappointing he's been though. I have doubts that he can do much at 38yrs old, but let's hope so.

Comment

As long as he comes to fight, then it should be entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                  X