Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In retrospect, should Camacho sr be considered a legendary fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In retrospect, should Camacho sr be considered a legendary fighter?

He had a load of high profile bouts in the 80's and 90's.. He was also undefeated for a very long time though many people including myself know he really got a gift decision against Mancini.. Does he deserve to be up there with the other greats of his generation like Chavez and Whitaker?

He is a step below chavez and whittaker... Though I would have loved to seen Camacho and pernell tangle..

Camacho is a hall of fame caliber guy, just not an ATG type guy..

He was an ATG character/personality

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      He is a step below chavez and whittaker... Though I would have loved to seen Camacho and pernell tangle..

nice post totally agree was a more safety first after being socked by Edwin's big power

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

How I see it too.

Comment

I think he does....he is one of those asterisk guys, i.E he is not a shoo in. His physical gifts, including his power was on the order of Roy jones, at his best he is not an easy fight for anyone.

Comment

Most definately he does.. He was a very good fighter.

Comment

Tremendous leg speed and extra coordination. He was pretty much a handfull right there. His roster is not too bad either. With another personality he would probably be more appreciated. He will be in the Hall of the Greats, but will not be seated at first table with nineteen others.

Comment

HOF but not an ATG like Whitaker or Chavez.

He had the physical gifts and skills to be an ATG, but squandered so much talent due to his lifestyle issues.

He also had a tendency to go into a defensive shell in fights when he'd get hit hard or with some frequency. He'd look mainly to survive.

Some fighters are like this, some aren't. It makes me respect those, like say, Fernando Vargas and Ricky Hatton. Lots of fighters go into a shell when they are facing Mayweather, they are getting hit with sharp counters and frustrated by the lack of openings Floyd gives. Some just shell up defensively and hope for some opening to come along in hopes of an unlikely KO punch. Hatton just went for it. Sure he got knocked silly and into the ringpost lol, but at least he was willing to take that risk.

During the late rounds of Trinidad-Vargas, George Foreman said Vargas needs to "hit him, hit him, hit him, move out of the way" and that Vargas would get KO'd trying to trade left hooks with Tito. He was completely right, but I still respect Vargas for truly "going out on his shield" and trying to do what he felt was his best chance to win the fight rather than simply not get KO'd.

Comment

I did notice if you watch some of the early bouts of his career he was a lot more aggressive and crowd pleasing than was the case later on..

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                    I did notice if you watch some of the early bouts of his career he was a lot more aggressive and crowd pleasing than was the case later on..
                    Camacho was a terrific junior light weight. Very underrated at that weight class. Once he moved up the returns were steadily diminished.

Comment

Working...
                    X