Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Povetkin gets only 3-week mini camp for Chagaev: is Sauerland sabotaging Atlas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
    Question to the The Atlas Haters:

Will you give Atlas his dues if Povetkin wins impressively over Chagaev?...

I find Atlas annoying at times and I know that he has a less than stellar track record as a trainer, but he is a boxing scholar, hands down. When I watch FNFs he sees things that the untrained viewer does not see. He analyzes a boxing match pretty dam good in other words...

If Povetkin wins and he looks good doing so, I will give Povetkin credit but I also will give Atlas some credit as well....
    I see Povetkin as a kind of simple soul who is being manipulated by both Sauerland and Atlas, a pawn in their power struggle.

If he can overcome that and his lack of preparation and still beat Chagaev convincingly, I'll be impressed with Povetkin's willpower. As for Teddy, we'll have to see how much his methods either help or hurt Povetkin in this fight. Much of what Teddy does is psychological and consists of breaking people down and trying to rebuild them. But some get stuck at the breaking down part, like Michael Grant, and never get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinderman View Post
      I see Povetkin as a kind of simple soul who is being manipulated by both Sauerland and Atlas, a pawn in their power struggle.

If he can overcome that and his lack of preparation and still beat Chagaev convincingly, I'll be impressed with Povetkin's willpower. As for Teddy, we'll have to see how much his methods either help or hurt Povetkin in this fight. Much of what Teddy does is psychological and consists of breaking people down and trying to rebuild them. But some get stuck at the breaking down part, like Michael Grant, and never get over it.
      Translation: No I will never give Atlas credit....

Comment

Stop blaming Atlas. Povetkins carreer was being badly managed way before Atlas started to train him

Comment

The elephant in the room here, of course, is Kalle Sauerland. Back in January, Sauerland was quoted as saying he disapproved of Povetkin’s decision to hire Atlas as trainer. Atlas responded with an angry outburst at Sauerland on the boxing site bokser.org, calling the promoter a “punk” who has “always been protected by his father’s money.”

http://tinyurl.com/43hxqhx
          100% what I think is the situation. Sauerland would rather Povetkin fail so Atlas can be removed. Atlas probably should have cut ties with the situation after Team Povetkin breached the contract where Povetkin would have to come over to the US in the event Atlas is unable to travel.

What's strange is Povetkin seemed to be completely in the dark regarding Atlas' absence.. He also wasn't supplied with any main trainer in lieu of Teddy.. I think it's nice that Atlas decided to skip out on ESPN so he could at least come over for a couple weeks in camp. Otherwise Povetkin would have had no true non conditioning preparation?

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            A Chagaev win would be poetic justice.

It would once again expose what a awful trainer Teddy is.

And Povetkin would finally need to face the reality that he made a bad mistake by hiring that nutcase.
            A Chagaev win would be a small tragedy and disaster where Povetkin did nothing wrong. I don't see how this can be blamed on anyone but Sauerland when Atlas made it clear and in writing that Team Povetkin would need to come to him in the event that he could not travel. Kalle didn't even supply an interim trainer outside of conditioning work? He obviously wanted Povetkin to fail in the ring. Poetic justice would be if someone walked up to Kalle and socked him. Froch came pretty close building up to the Abraham fight.

Comment

I think your analysis of how Teddy trains is pretty good.. But with that said, I think it is a very effective method. And from what I can tell Povetkin has the fortitude/strength to respond positively to Atlas' psychological methods.. However, with limited time and an unclear situation which could result in a breach of trust. Does Povetkin have enough time to build back up? I think even Teddy is concerned he may not.. Fortunately another aspect of Teddy's game is that he's an excellent in ring motivator. He'll have one last chance during the fight to keep Povetkin moving in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
              X