No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Brandon Rios-Mike Alvarado II: Pre-B.A.D. Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Brandon Rios-Mike Alvarado II: Pre-B.A.D. Report Card

by Cliff Rold - This era is lucky to have Brandon Rios. Brandon Rios is unlucky to fight in this era.

A month shy of 27, Rios fought only twice last year and may settle at that total again this year. For a fighter with his style, the window to make his mark is narrower in terms of time. There is only so much of it to see him against as many of the top lights of his day as possible while he can bring the A-game he possesses now.

But, hey, we get two in a row with Alvarado. It’s a hell of a bird in the hand.

Let’s go to the report cards. [Click Here To Read More]

Rios defense C, Alvarado B-?

You've got to be kidding me. I thought this site was run by boxing experts?

So if you watch that first fight back, and tell me what Alvarado did defensively? I can summarise it in one short sentence; static philly shell. He didn't move his feet. He didn't slip. He didn't roll. He didn't move his upper body really at all. He just attempted to block with his gloves and generally failed.

Now let's look at Rios. OK, on a few occasions he got caught cold and paid the price. That was about 5% of the time. The rest of the time he was adjusting his guard to take the sting off shots, often slipping jabs (slipping back, or to the side), he was moving side to side on the inside to avoid the uppercuts, he was rolling hooks, and was getting close to smother some of Alvarado's work. Granted his feet were pretty flat footed (well, let's face it, he's only interested in cutting off the ring and closing the distance) and he did switch off and get caught on a handful of occasions (which you could count using fingers... unlike with Alvarado who was getting caught all the time).

To summarise Rios' defense; he actually had one.

It amazes me that boxing "experts" can rate Alvarado as defensively superior to Rios when the only thing keeping Alvarado from being hit was his own offense - which was why he was throwing 150 punches a round, an unsustainable pace.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieg View Post
      Rios defense C, Alvarado B-?

You've got to be kidding me. I thought this site was run by boxing experts?

So if you watch that first fight back, and tell me what Alvarado did defensively? I can summarise it in one short sentence; static philly shell. He didn't move his feet. He didn't slip. He didn't roll. He didn't move his upper body really at all. He just attempted to block with his gloves and generally failed.

Now let's look at Rios. OK, on a few occasions he got caught cold and paid the price. That was about 5% of the time. The rest of the time he was adjusting his guard to take the sting off shots, often slipping jabs (slipping back, or to the side), he was moving side to side on the inside to avoid the uppercuts, he was rolling hooks, and was getting close to smother some of Alvarado's work. Granted his feet were pretty flat footed (well, let's face it, he's only interested in cutting off the ring and closing the distance) and he did switch off and get caught on a handful of occasions (which you could count using fingers... unlike with Alvarado who was getting caught all the time).

To summarise Rios' defense; he actually had one.

It amazes me that boxing "experts" can rate Alvarado as defensively superior to Rios when the only thing keeping Alvarado from being hit was his own offense - which was why he was throwing 150 punches a round, an unsustainable pace.
      agreed Rios has an underrated defence

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
        agreed Rios has an underrated defence
        I'm not going to be absurd and claim that he has a great defense. It is underrated, but it's not incredible. He does enough to make his opponents work hard to land, whilst he focuses on getting into range.

However, Alvarado has consistently proved he has a garbage defense. I think back to the Bredis Prescott fight when he had his face rearranged. Even the Rios fight, Rios couldn't really miss, he just had to wait for Alvarado to stop punching - and when Alvarado ran out of steam in the 6th, it was open season.

Alvarado is obviously a tough guy, but he's not a great boxer, and if you're telling me that he has a better defense than Rios (as the author of this article is) then I'm saying you have no business being a boxing pundit. It's total nonsense.

Comment

are you kidding me!!! RIos is no defensive genius he fights like a meat head lets not talk him up the dude is a complete idiot who fights like a macho maniac thats why he's exciting.

Comment

RIOS by TKO...PACMAN vs RIOS on September!

Comment

Originally posted by smifnwessun View Post
              are you kidding me!!! RIos is no defensive genius he fights like a meat head lets not talk him up the dude is a complete idiot who fights like a macho maniac thats why he's exciting.
              I don't believe anyone is saying Rios is a defense genius(as you put it),but he does have better defense then giving credit for..I think it's because he takes a hell of a shot..So people miss the part when Rios keeps his chin tucked and his gloves up..

Comment

Originally posted by TangInaMo Floyd View Post
                RIOS by TKO...PACMAN vs RIOS on September!
                Funny enough I see this too..Pac Rios-Marquez Bradley..Coming real soon..

Comment

It should be a good fight on HBO tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                    I don't believe anyone is saying Rios is a defense genius(as you put it),but he does have better defense then giving credit for..I think it's because he takes a hell of a shot..So people miss the part when Rios keeps his chin tucked and his gloves up..
                    Exactly. Which Alvarado does not.

Rios does more than just tuck up nicely though. He does attempt to evade shots. Again, Alvarado does not.

Rios is a pressure fighter. Of course he has to walk through a lot to get up close. He's not offensively gifted, it's all brute strength. However, he's not a Margarito, he doesn't just defend with his face. Again, anybody questioning what I'm saying, I say watch Rios-Alvarado I and watch what Rios does defensively. You'll be surprised. It's not magnificent, but it is fairly effective. Then look at what Alvarado does defensively, you'll see nothing at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X