No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Teofilo Stevenson, Olympic Great, Passes Away at 60

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Teofilo Stevenson, Olympic Great, Passes Away at 60

Olympic boxing legend Teofilo Stevenson has died, aged 60, according to reports from Cuba. He is said to have had a heart attack.

The heavyweight star won gold medals at three separate Games - in Munich in 1972, at Montreal four years later and again in Moscow in 1980. He was denied the chance to add to his haul when Communist Cuba boycotted the 1984 and 88 Olympics.
    [Click Here To Read More]

R>I>P to one of the baddest cubans to ever step in that ring, i wasn't alive when he fought so for me the best cuban amateurs were always kindelan and rigondeaux. But a lot of old school cats tell me Stevenson was probably the best.

Comment

It always seemed strange to me that the Cubans would send grown men year after year to the Olympics to beat up on green kids.

But I guess when you can't go pro the gold medal is the highlight of your career.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        It always seemed strange to me that the Cubans would send grown men year after year to the Olympics to beat up on green kids.

But I guess when you can't go pro the gold medal is the highlight of your career.
        In answer to your post, here's something I posted on another thread:

Stevenson defeated the American Duane Bobick at the Munich games in 1972. Duane was 22; Teofilo was 20. Stevenson defeated American "Big" John Tate at the Montreal games in 1976. John was 21; Stevenson was 24. Stevenson defeated the Russian Pyotr Zayev for the gold medal at the Moscow games in 1980. Pyotr was 27; Teofilo was 28.

Comment

Teofilo was the best amateur heavyweight I ever saw. His right hand took a serious toll. He was no fancy Dan, he didn't have to be. Steamrolling was his game. RIP.

Comment

RIP boxing great .

Comment

RIP, he was one bad ass dude in the ring...boxing great for sure

Comment

damn RIP, I was shocked by this headline when I seen it

Comment

Would have been a HOF Heavyweight. Would have given Larry Holmes hell.

Comment

He was patriotic. Loyal to his fans. No Bob Arum or Don King krap.

Comment

Working...
                    X