Groves wins DeGale purse bid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groves wins DeGale purse bid

Hayemaker land the first blow between bitter rivals

Hayemaker have won the right to stage the grudge match between James DeGale and George Groves.

The British Boxing Board of Control has confirmed that Dave Coldwell, on behalf of Hayemaker Promotions, was successful in Wednesday's bidding to stage the British Super-Middleweight title defence.

The date and venue are yet to be confirmed although the fight must take place before April 11 with Groves, the mandatory challenger, the 'home' fighter.

He has withdrawn from this Saturday's Matchroom bill in Liverpool through injury, while DeGale is rumoured to be returning to the ring on March 19, although he has played down talk of a shot at WBA Super-Middleweight champion Dimitri Sartison.

The decision does not guarantee the long-time rivals will meet, but brings two of the country's brightest talents closer to settling their bitter feud in the professional ring.

The pair came through the amateur ranks at Dale Youth ABC when DeGale, who will defend the British title, lost to Groves, his mandatory challenger and the Commonwealth champion at 160lbs.

There is genuine needle between the two west Londoners and both have constantly called for the fight to be made. Groves has dubbed him 'Destined To Fail', while DeGale will only refer to him as 'Ugly Kid'.

The British champion and his promoter Frank Warren must now agree to take the fight, or the Harlesden man faces being stripped of his title.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...744080,00.html

War DeGale.

Come on haters bet with me.

All my points on DeGale!!!

degale whoops groves, easy work or james

Comment

I hope DeGale whoops him bad.

The guys wanting Groves to win are those who hate on DeGale

Comment

Groves has some power and heart; DeGale should win, but he can't afford to be cavalier or too cocky.

Comment

Last year i would have favoured Groves but he doesnt seem too have improved at all whereas Degale has and hes the one that could be a success at world level,he wins this in a cracking fight imo

Comment

when groves fought kenny anderson last year, it just convinced me that degale would KO groves easy.

degale is too fast, too good

Comment

Going to give 3/1 odds/

Comment

We don't really know what DeGale's made of just yet. We've seen Groves has some heart.

If DeGale doesn't indulge himself, he should control Groves and break him down.

If he gives opportunities away and gets himself rocked, it could go either way.

Comment

Degale should win handily imo.. but he shouldn't rush himself.. In 2 years or so he is ready to fight the likes of Dirrel/Froch

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                    Last year i would have favoured Groves but he doesnt seem too have improved at all whereas Degale has and hes the one that could be a success at world level,he wins this in a cracking fight imo
                    That is how I see it.

Comment

Working...
                    X