Collapse
No announcement yet.

were old school fighters really complte fighters like they say

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think they was as complete overall as made out but there is no denying some was very advanced and possessed high level skillsets, supreme conditioning, coordination, durability etc

Willie Pep, Gene Tunney, Eder Jofre are a few of the more complete early pioneers IMO and in respected weight classes, I have no doubt they'd do exceptionally well in todays era.

Comment

Guys like Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, and SRR certainly were, among those with large amounts of footage.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
        no, most of them were primitive ..look at harry greb , the guy fought like a kangaroo.. even charlie z is more skilled than that mofoker
        Man thats disrespectful as hell.

Go read up on the man, Harry Greb is , was and always will be a legend. A real fighter.

I always wonder how furious his attack must have been.

He was said to be faster than Benny Leonard ( awesome light weight champ ) ( Greb fought at Middle weight , light heavy and heavy , so imagine how fast he must have been ). Theres footage of the great Benny Leonard for you to see how fast he was.

Go read what heavyweight champion the great Jack Dempsey said about Harry Greb after they sparred. How he gave the great Jack Dempsey hell!

Theres footage of Jack Dempsey.

Go read what the great Gene Tunney said about Harry Greb . Tunney who lost to Greb when they fought. Theres footage of Gene Tunney. Go watch him box and dare to tell me that he isnt great!

They all said that Greb was a furious fighter. Always throwing punches, always swarming, always leaping in and leaping out of range after his attacks. He had such a high volume of punches.

He fought something like 400 times. Knocked out once in his first year as a pro. He defeated 18 fighters who held world champions or became champions, ranging from middle weight, light heavy weight and heavy weight.

And i dont know at what point of his career....but Harry Greb was blinded in one eye and carried on fighting till his final days. God bless.

The late great Harry Greb was a furious, fearless and a no retreat no surrender type fighter. He fought them all.

Dont diss this man.It isnt right dude.

Comment

We only remember the best 'old school fighters'.

This is a long period of time, so obviously there are going to be a larger quantity of great fighters over a span of say, 90 years, than there are going to be fighting in the present.

Therefore it's fully possible, maybe likely, that the best talents are going to be one of these men that we still remember, not one fighting today. Not because of a bias towards old-school fighters.

It's just simple math.

Again, we don't remember the no-hopers. They have always existed and always will. And very seldom will one of them be remembered. In fact, I can only think of one. Joe Grim. That's solely because of all the dudes he fought and didn't get KO'd.

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          There is no footage of Greb fighting, only limited training footage?
          Correct. Actually, it was him sparring his friend Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, who was at the time in his fifties. I believe.

Hardly a championship bout.
          Last edited by Capaedia; 10-16-2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X