Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Prospect of the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Prospect of the Year

By Jake Donovan - Perhaps the most amazing thing about Keith Thurman’s rise in 2012 was that he wasn’t on anyone’s radar when the year began.

Inactive since Nov. ’10 due to an injury, Thurman was viewed by most as little more than another in the vast stable of boxing powerbroker Al Haymon. That meant appearances on the undercards of other Haymon-managed fighters, mostly against soft opposition while waiting for the TV money to eventually roll in.

It’s precisely how his year played out – yet in the end, he emphatically proved worthy of the coverage.

The truth is that he proved himself long before turning pro in 2008. A stellar amateur career included a spot as an alternate on the 2008 U.S. Olympic boxing squad – if he wanted it.

He didn’t. Thurman instead opted to turn pro shortly after falling short to Demetrius Andrade in the Olympic Trials, officially punching for pay in Nov. ’07, just shy of his 21st birthday. Three years later, many wondered when ‘One Time’ would get his career in gear, racking up a string of knockout wins against largely nondescript competition.

Two fights into his 2012 campaign suggested more of the same, a disappointment considering the 15-month layoff preceding his Feb. ’12 off-TV knockout win over Christopher Fernandez. The bout took place in St. Louis, with fellow Haymon clients Adrien Broner and Devon Alexander appearing on the HBO-televised portion of the show.

Five months later, Thurman would make his way in front of the camera. The bitching soon began, but his performance ultimately spoke for itself. [Click Here To Read More]

damn i thought my boy deontay wilder had this one on lockdown

Comment

The HW prospect of the year is KUBRAT PULEV, ladies and gentlemen!
      Pulev will smash any of the American HWs.

Comment

the right choice, much better than Rafael's pick of Price I think.

Comment

Thurman's stock has really risen this year. I just wish the Maidana fight had gone through.

Comment

I’m glad to see Joel Diaz Jr. got a mention. When I suggested Diaz to Dan Rafael on Twitter after he posted the question, he replied back that Diaz is not an “elite” prospect. I really like Bryant Jennings. Hoping he brings the heavyweight title back to America really soon.
            Last edited by GAR1680-Boxing; 12-30-2012, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GAR1680-Boxing View Post
              I’m glad to see Joel Diaz Jr. got a mention. When I suggested Diaz to Dan Rafael on Twitter after he posted the question, he replied back that Diaz is not an “elite” prospect. I really like Bryant Jennings. Hoping he brings the heavyweight title back to America really soon.
              I'm sorry but Jennings won't be bringing any world titles to america really soon.

Comment

Liked the look of Thurman since his early few fights, have lost track of him recently though - must download the Quintana fight. Great prospect.

Comment

He's the guy. None were more explosive and dominant. I was a fan since the first time I saw him fight.

Comment

thurman sucks.......

Comment

Working...
                    X