No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Aussie Boxers Take a Pounding From Competition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Aussie Boxers Take a Pounding From Competition

Australia coach Don Abnett was left gobsmacked by a decision which denied tear-drenched Aussie teenager Jai Opetaia the biggest boxing upset of the London Olympics.

On a forgetful night when the Aussies went 0-3 in the ring, heavyweight Opetaia took it to Azerbaijan's world No.1 Teymur Mammadov only to come up one point short in a 12-11 loss.

While the 17-year-old Opetaia, Australian boxing's youngest ever Olympian, refused to criticize the judges, Abnett let fly.

"It was 9-9 going into the last round, I had him three points up about a minute into the third round - that didn't change," Abnett said.
    [Click Here To Read More]

That Chinese Super Heavyweight who stopped the Aussie was an absolute beast, would be interesting if he was allowed to turn pro.

Comment

The Aussies qualified their boxers by winning box off's in such places as east timor, they had the easy route in, im not surprised they are getting demolished on the world stage

Comment

I could probably spark some of these Aussie boxers

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
          The Aussies qualified their boxers by winning box off's in such places as east timor, they had the easy route in, im not surprised they are getting demolished on the world stage
          since a 17 year old losing to no.1 ranked heavy by one point is getting demolished. righttttttt

Comment

Originally posted by winky's right View Post
            since a 17 year old losing to no.1 ranked heavy by one point is getting demolished. righttttttt
            your boys are dropping left, right and center, most of them shouldn't even be there, they took up easy qualification spots that much more deserving boxers missed out on

Comment

One at the the start looked very similar to Katsidis .Good style for the pros maybe if they've got chin and power not for points in the amatuers .

Comment

Isn't Azerbaijan the country involved in the bribery scandal in olympic box right now?

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                  I could probably spark some of these Aussie boxers
                  You sure could. Look how tough your writing style is.

Comment

Thanks for the article BPP, I will keep an eye on Jai Opetaia in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X