No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BBBoC's Smith Calls Thompson's Comments 'Sickening'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BBBoC's Smith Calls Thompson's Comments 'Sickening'

British Boxing Board of Control secretary Robert Smith has branded Tony Thompson's comments that all sportsmen should be allowed to take drugs as "mindblowing".

The American heavyweight, who faces Britain's David Price in Liverpool on Saturday, claims drug use in sport has become so widespread the only way to deal with the problem is to legalise doping.

Smith insisted Thompson "doesn't seem to understand British culture" and said: "It's mindblowing that a fighter who has challenged twice for the world title can come out with something like this.

"I felt sickened, to be honest, when I heard the comments.

"People are entitled to their view, but yesterday the Boxing Board held a UK Anti-Doping seminar at the Institute for Sport in Sheffield for all the UK licence holders - managers, promoters, trainers - outlining the dangers of drugs, and how it is being tackled in sport."
    [Click Here To Read More]

might be sickening but the guy has got a point. unless you test every single boxer then there is always going to be cheats. even some of the ones that get tested probably still pass as evidenced by lance armstrong.

Comment

As discussed on another thread......Thompson should be 'sticking to the knitting' and be far more focussed on his fight with Price.

He's beginning to sound like a geezer writing his retirement speech...rather than a bloke fully focussed on getting back to the top via a win over a top-rated contender. Not a good sign for this fight.

Comment

It's too bad that he's right....

Comment

Lol calm down. Let the man have an opinion u sensitive twat.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me that the British Boxing Board of Control has that ****sexual from The Cure making public statements for them. Gay fighters, gay officials, gay administration. That's the British boxing way.

Comment

I may not totally agree with Thompson, but at the very least his comments were an honest reflection of how widespread PED use is in boxing today and I respect him for saying it.

How about Robert Smith pulls his finger out of his arse and actually starts some proper testing in the UK? Yeah they caught Olubamiwo -- after a 6 year period of taking at least 13 banned substances including EPO and HGH. Ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
              X