Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long ass (DLT long) Mayweather-Marquez thoughts which addresses a **** load

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any potential match-up with Floyd would be considered a mismatch.

Comment

[QUOTE=warp1432;5166645]Good point and thanks for the criticism. I guess what I mean when it's a solid fight is when it'll be worth buying. But I didn't make myself clear, so thanks for pointing it out

I see what you're saying but when I read it I thought to myself hmmm. I think that JMM is going to suprise alot of people, and even if he loses it's going to do great things for his legacy. Floyd has been off for 2 years and we don't even know if his timing and accuracy is going to be like it was. And plus like you said, the fight is going to make the most sense money wise.
      Last edited by Two Clips; 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
        Marquez does not do as well moving up in weight. He isn’t like Manny Pacquiao where he retains most of his speed everytime. Infact, it’s just the opposite. Everytime Juan Manuel Marquez has moved up in weight, he’s lost speed and a bit of his timing. This may have to do with older age also, but at 144 Marquez would lose even more speed then he has at 135. This makes the fight unfair for Marquez. Even at 140, It wouldn’t do amazingly that much for Mayweather’s long term resume except a noteable name, who wasn’t fighting in his prime weight class (which is 126).

There is nothing Juan Manuel Marquez does better then Floyd Mayweather Jr. A pretty bold statement, but when you look at it…it’s pretty true. Defense? No. Left Hook? No. Right Hand? No. Combination Puncher? Maybe, but no.
        Thay isn’t the only reason why the fight won’t be competitive. Along with Marquez’s decrease of skills for going up in weight, Marquez also has trouble with slick counter punchers. While I had him beating both John and Barrera by pretty big margins, he was open to counters from them. Mayweather, who won’t be intimidated by a smaller man, will be more willing to throw combinations also. He’ll be able to throw counters and then follow them up with accurate combinations. There is also the problem of Marquez hitting Floyd. Marquez has some great timing, but Floyd’s defense would give Marquez major problems. Add that with slower reactions because Marquez moves up in weight for this fight, it’s not all that competitive. Marquez might have a chance of landing some things because of Floyd’s inactivity, but don’t count on it.

The question now is….

Does that make Floyd a “bitch” for fighting someone that isn’t at 147?

A popular trend and perhaps warranted is accusing Mayweather of ducking fighters. Whether it was Antonio Margarito (he did not), Miguel Cotto (this you have a better shot of arguing), or somebody else, Floyd Mayweather has always been accused of ducking fighters since 2006 or so. Now, does that make Floyd a coward for fighting JMM and not Shane Mosley?

He isn’t a coward in my opinion, but his legacy definitely suffers for this. In his first fight back since his “retirement”, he shouldn’t be expected to fight Shane Mosley, who is a more dangerous fighter then Juan Manuel Marquez, but it still looks bad that he is fighting someone not as good as Mosley in that weight class.

Mayweather vs. Marquez is a fight to set up for the mega of all fights, Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather. Pacquiao-Mayweather is a much better much up then Marquez-Floyd (will be explained why at a different time) and easily the best win of Mayweather’s career. Still, Mayweather is criticized for not fighting top welterweights particularly when he was the Welterweight champ and will probably be criticized for not fighting welterweights afterwards too.

My biggest criticism of Mayweather is not fighting Miguel Cotto after he fought Ricky Hatton. He was the Welterweight Champion who was expected to defend against the top contender, but he walked away. Now he’s back, but it’s now up to Floyd to determine and improve his legacy. Marquez is a step, but not a very big step.

At some time or another, I had posted about this since the fight was announced. I basicly copy and paste the part of the thread to which I may agree. Specially parts in red. Some poeple here had mention this before in good arguments without the "over-rated hate accusations". The rest of this long piece is... "almost ok".

Comment

More like terrible. He always goes into length, but on a 1 on 1 argument he's quite easy to dispatch. He makes good posts on somethings, but other are just terrible.

I tried to make mine more organized, so people don't skip over it, but it'll most likely happen...
          Im easy to dispatch one on one? Translationg: "I disagree with DLT so he must be wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
            Im easy to dispatch one on one? Translationg: "I disagree with DLT so he must be wrong"
            Is this your shortest post ever? It must be.

And you don't argue well 1 on 1, that's pretty much common knowledge. You do well on a general thesis, but when people break you down you don't argue well back. You either resort to "ya'll are haters', "you must be puerto rican!", or just don't make sense in general.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
              Any potential match-up with Floyd would be considered a mismatch.
              That's probably a bit exaggerated.

I mean, he might be the favorite in every fight, but... I can't imagine that people would be calling him vs. Cotto a mismatch.

A mismatch was him vs. Baldomir or Mitchell, but... the top welters wouldn't be mismatched against him, just live dogs.

Is this your shortest post ever? It must be.

And you don't argue well 1 on 1, that's pretty much common knowledge. You do well on a general thesis, but when people break you down you don't argue well back. You either resort to "ya'll are haters', "you must be puerto rican!", or just don't make sense in general.
              LOL

Comment

I feel like bumping this because the fight is official now.

Comment

bad article imo
                  the writer makes too much emphasis on marquez being too heavy
                  imo just like pac did against de la hoya, he will just show up at a weight he feels comfortable he is not gonna blow up just because of the weight limit
                  also the writer has this ficticious idea about floyd mayweather, the fact is he hasnt fought in a year and half that kind of innactivity for a guy in his 30's can be dangerous

and most important mayweather is expected to fight at welterweight and fight the best at welterweight
                  i mean what he was expected to fight cotto because he was the welterweight champion
                  but now he is what a 145 fighter? if hes gonna pick on the little guys he should fight them at 140
                  by fighting marquez and pacquiao and hatton while being profitable fights hes gonna be labeled as a guy who picked on little guys at a higher weight, rather than a guy who fought good guys at his weight
                  if mayweather wants any credibility and a shot at being an ATG he should at least fight 2 good welterweights

Comment

Originally posted by ulises_solis View Post
                    bad article imo
                    the writer makes too much emphasis on marquez being too heavy
                    imo just like pac did against de la hoya, he will just show up at a weight he feels comfortable he is not gonna blow up just because of the weight limit
                    also the writer has this ficticious idea about floyd mayweather, the fact is he hasnt fought in a year and half that kind of innactivity for a guy in his 30's can be dangerous
                    Well the fight is at 143, so Marquez will probably weigh in at 140. Even then, he'll still go up 5 pounds or so just like Pacquiao did against DLH. When Marquez moves up in weight, he losees skill a little each time.

[quote]As for the layoff, Mayweather won't be effected enough to where he's gonna lose. Will he be rusty? Maybe, but he's also fighting at a lower weight, where he can throw more combinations then he does at the full 147.

and most important mayweather is expected to fight at welterweight and fight the best at welterweight
                    i mean what he was expected to fight cotto because he was the welterweight champion
                    but now he is what a 145 fighter? if hes gonna pick on the little guys he should fight them at 140
                    by fighting marquez and pacquiao and hatton while being profitable fights hes gonna be labeled as a guy who picked on little guys at a higher weight, rather than a guy who fought good guys at his weight
                    if mayweather wants any credibility and a shot at being an ATG he should at least fight 2 good welterweights
                    Hatton and Pacquiao aren't "small" guys. Hatton is pretty big in size, but not with his height or reach and Pacquiao is skilled and makes up for it. Pacquiao would give Mayweather his toughest fight.

I don't see why he "HAS" to fight Cotto or Mosley now that he's not Welterweight champ. When you are champ, you have an obligation to fight the number #1 contender. He doesn't "have" to fight, but his legacy will go up greatly.

Marquez is his first comeback fight, so while it doesn't do that much for his overall legacy, it's a decent step back.

Comment

Working...
                    X