No announcement yet.

2009 Wimbledon Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oasis_Lad View Post
    Care to expound? the fact that you have a man of completely no moral ethics in your avatar makes me question your opinion.
    Laddie, alot of my friends simply don't want Murray to win because he is Scottish, which I just find stupid. Can't people just acknowledge that he is the best player this island has ever produced and get behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Drogba View Post
      I don't want a British guy to win. I loved seeing Tim henman crumble under the pressure year after year. I heard it's called Murray mountain now
      Appreciate the honesty, but can you drop the avatar? I feel queasy just looking at Drogba.

Comment

Appreciate the honesty, but can you drop the avatar? I feel queasy just looking at Drogba.
        It's either Drogba,Lampard or A.Cole

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
          Yer you should, i've met a lot of yanks at Wimbledon over the years. Last year i was in the que behind a couple of guys from Oregon. Nice blokes.
          Yep one of these years when I have enough money Im coming over and checking that tourney out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
            Laddie, alot of my friends simply don't want Murray to win because he is Scotish, which I just find stupid. Can't people just acknowledge that he is the best player this island has ever produced and get behind him.
            Sadly, this sort of thing is as prominent up here as it appears down there. A lot of Scots still think it's 1342 and get some sort of nationalistic pride if an Englishman loses, even though, they, as a Scot had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
              I've got tickets for week two on Court One so i'm not sure what matches i'll get to see. Week two, most big matches are on Centre Court.

Centre Court has got a new roof. All the other big courts haven't.
              You'll see a few fourth round matches and a couple of quarters I think. Won't see Murray though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Drogba View Post
                It's either Drogba,Lampard or A.Cole
                Oh dear..... so it's the lesser of three evils? Lampard I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
                  I really think there is only 2 men who can win the mens this year, God AKA Murray and Fed. Roddick, Del Potro and Karlovic will all be dangerous.

As usual i'll be supporting Murray. He has got quite a nasty draw this year with Kendrick in the 1st round, who is a useful grass court player, and then Gulbis, who has a big serve in the 2nd. I just think its set up for Andy with the whole Fred Perry 100 birthday, if he was still alive obviously. We'll just have to wait and see though.

On the womens side, I got a sneaky feeling Serena is going to be in a destructive mood and clinch another title.

Can't wait...the next two weeks i'll be glued to my tv; gotta love how BBC has almost every match live on interactive.
                  Nice call for a darkhorse in Karlovic. He has a big serve if im not mistaken, which usually plays well on the grass courts. ESPN is doing our coverage here in the States so Im hoping it's good. I was kind of dissapointed in their French Open coverage, hopefully they better for Wimbledon.

Comment

Sadly, this sort of thing is as prominent up here as it appears down there. A lot of Scots still think it's 1342 and get some sort of nationalistic pride if an Englishman loses, even though, they, as a Scot had nothing to do with it.
                    Yeah, can't see that changing much sadly. Its like what I said in relation to Anglo-Irish relations a while back, if a scotsman walks into a pub down here he would realise there ain't much difference between us, except the accents obviously.
                    Last edited by The Monk; 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post
                      Nice call for a darkhorse in Karlovic. He has a big serve if im not mistaken, which usually plays well on the grass courts. ESPN is doing our coverage here in the States so Im hoping it's good. I was kind of dissapointed in their French Open coverage, hopefully they better for Wimbledon.
                      Karlovic has a monster serve, nothing else mind, but he is down-right impossible to break on grass. I'm not too big of a fan of grass courts to be honest; they play too much into the hands of the big servers like Karlovic and Roddick.

The BBC goes nuts when Wimbledon is on. TV, radio and internet...it is basically all dedicated to tennis with live tennis all day and then highlights at night. Considering the BBC is the main tv channel over here its amazing

Comment

Working...
                      X