Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could any current Welterweight go the distance with Sugar Ray Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robinson walks through Pacquaio in 2 rounds at the most.

Mayweather would last the distance.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
      I always find it entertaining that the people that say, "SRR is overrated, you don't know **** about boxing, etc etc etc "always have negative rep....
      I think he's a bit overrated. I think people just write off any fantasy matchup with him without really thinking about it. Like I said before, he's arguably the GOAT and he was better in his era than anyone else has been in their era, but from the footage I've seen, I'm not overly impressed. I don't get wow'd by his fights... Too me it's a very old school style that worked back then but it's hard to say how that style would translate into victories against today's top fighters. P4p though he's the GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
        Paul Williams?... paul Williams is very technicly flawed he needs a new trainer... he doesn't use his height and bends when he punches and he can not adjust to save his life, his chin is suspect as well, and he would only have the arm length advantage against Robinson... I don't know if Paul Williams could beat robinson, maybe, probably not

Comment

Originally posted by -Rabbit Punch- View Post
          I think he's a bit overrated. I think people just write off any fantasy matchup with him without really thinking about it. Like I said before, he's arguably the GOAT and he was better in his era than anyone else has been in their era, but from the footage I've seen, I'm not overly impressed. I don't get wow'd by his fights... Too me it's a very old school style that worked back then but it's hard to say how that style would translate into victories against today's top fighters. P4p though he's the GOAT.
          that's exactly what people do... not only that I'm pretty sure most of the people in this thread havn't even watched Robinson before

Comment

There were fighters who went the distance with Ray all those years ago. What makes anyone think that the best of this era can't go the distance, too? Although "Sugar" may be the all-time best, that doesn't mean he couldn't lose, let alone go twelve or fifteen rounds with a given fighter. Making guys like Ray Robinson sound invincible is what causes unreasonable backlash by younger fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekscape View Post
              you two don't know **** about boxing...
              It is evident through your posts on this thread I know considerably more than you

Comment

the robinson who really hit his stride after the lamotta loss stops any welterweight today.

you can tell there's a lot of boxrec checking in this thread from the guys who haven't watched a fight from before 1995. at best they watched a highlight on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by geribeetus View Post
                  the robinson who really hit his stride after the lamotta loss stops any welterweight today.

you can tell there's a lot of boxrec checking in this thread from the guys who haven't watched a fight from before 1995. at best they watched a highlight on youtube.
                  Boxrec is a legitimate tool when debating how fighters of different eras would've fared against each other. It's definitely not the only source, but it's the most objective.

Let's just take a quick look at the five year period after the LaMotta loss, when Ray "really hit his stride." Robinson's fights went the distance sixteen times. There were three fifteen round fights and one twelve round bout. The twelve rounder was against Jake LaMotta; it went to the cards. Of the three fifteen round matches, one was decided by the judges. That was against Tommy Bell, who apparently was a decent fighter. But who really remembers Tommy Bell?

Based on historical record, in a segment of "Sugar" Ray's career which could be deemed as "prime," we can say that there are current welterweights who stand a good chance of going the distance with the GOAT. Need a name? Here's an obvious one: Floyd Mayweather, a boxer with the talent, skill and defensive style and temperament to go the distance with the best.

Comment

Working...
                  X