No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Sergio & Adonis: Risk/Reward Ratios

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Sergio & Adonis: Risk/Reward Ratios

by David P. Greisman - Sergio Martinez is 39 years old and the lineal middleweight champion. The opponent that fans most want to see him face is Gennady Golovkin, a fellow titleholder at 160 pounds, a power-punching undefeated 31-year-old whose 29 wins include 26 by way of knockout.

Adonis Stevenson is 36 years old and the lineal light heavyweight champion. The opponent that fans most want to see him face is Sergey Kovalev, a fellow titleholder at 175 pounds, a power-punching 30-year-old who is 23-0-1 with 21 knockouts.

In an ideal world, we would see Martinez-Golovkin and Stevenson-Kovalev in 2014 or early 2015. There are few guarantees in life, however, and particularly in boxing — an enterprise in which it can be astonishingly difficult to make a fight between two testosterone-laden men eager to advance their careers by hurting others. [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    by David P. Greisman - Sergio Martinez is 39 years old and the lineal middleweight champion. The opponent that fans most want to see him face is Gennady Golovkin, a fellow titleholder at 160 pounds, a power-punching undefeated 31-year-old whose 29 wins include 26 by way of knockout.

Adonis Stevenson is 36 years old and the lineal light heavyweight champion. The opponent that fans most want to see him face is Sergey Kovalev, a fellow titleholder at 175 pounds, a power-punching 30-year-old who is 23-0-1 with 21 knockouts.

In an ideal world, we would see Martinez-Golovkin and Stevenson-Kovalev in 2014 or early 2015. There are few guarantees in life, however, and particularly in boxing — an enterprise in which it can be astonishingly difficult to make a fight between two testosterone-laden men eager to advance their careers by hurting others. [Click Here To Read More]
    "It's rather useless to get into too much speculation..." But the previous 4 sentences each contained a "speculation".

Regardless of what the fans want -and the BoxingScene writers know more about this than posters do -the fans will get what the managers and promoters view as the most financially astute match-ups.

Comment

"superman" is so scared of kovalev he has taken to hiding behind al haymon

Comment

The last hope for Golovkin/Marinez is the last HBO fight Martinez has on his contract. Rubio defense already turned down to air on HBO.... so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
          "It's rather useless to get into too much speculation..." But the previous 4 sentences each contained a "speculation".

Regardless of what the fans want -and the BoxingScene writers know more about this than posters do -the fans will get what the managers and promoters view as the most financially astute match-ups.
          Ha! Closer to two lines, but yeah — still much less than the craziness that Twitter was last week after Stevenson made the announcement last week.

And yes, you're right of course: Money will be the deciding factor in the long run.

-David

Comment

Originally posted by skinnystev View Post
            "superman" is so scared of kovalev he has taken to hiding behind al haymon
            Your sir are one of those pawns that a general would put at the very front line of the army to protect the real men from the oncoming arrows and gun fire.

Kindly go out on a windy day, find a very high mountain, stand at the edge of the cliff and let the Lords work be done.

Comment

Cotto negotiated to walk to the ring last when he is NOT the champion???

what a ****ing douche bag.

I am a Cotto fan but I am a boxing fan and historically the champion comes to the ring last.

Cotto is a disrespectful drama queen punk to even ask for that term.

he also asked for a catchweight so I dont want to hear anymore whining about the pac catchweight.

Now i hope Cotto gets his ass stomped.

Comment

Originally posted by amayseng View Post
                Cotto negotiated to walk to the ring last when he is NOT the champion???

what a ****ing douche bag.

I am a Cotto fan but I am a boxing fan and historically the champion comes to the ring last.

Cotto is a disrespectful drama queen punk to even ask for that term.

he also asked for a catchweight so I dont want to hear anymore whining about the pac catchweight.

Now i hope Cotto gets his ass stomped.
                Are you sure the champion comes to the ring last ever? Watch floyd vs Canelo and i can go on and on and on.....;then FLOYD ever wanted his name first also when he wasn't the champion except when he fought THE REAL BOSS " DE LA HOYA". There are multiple example where the big name wants these terms....PLEASE YOU ARE NOT COTTO FAN,COTTO WAS THE CHAMP BUT FLOYD WANTED HIS NAME FIRST....etc etc etc...!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lutenco View Post
                  Are you sure the champion comes to the ring last ever? Watch floyd vs Canelo and i can go on and on and on.....;then FLOYD ever wanted his name first also when he wasn't the champion except when he fought THE REAL BOSS " DE LA HOYA". There are multiple example where the big name wants these terms....PLEASE YOU ARE NOT COTTO FAN,COTTO WAS THE CHAMP BUT FLOYD WANTED HIS NAME FIRST....etc etc etc...!!!!
                  Funny you mention Floyd..the best fighter on the planet. Belt or not everyone is considered the challenger to Floyd out of respect I doubt anyone even thought of coming in second vs him. Hatton out of respect for Manny also allowed him to be second and said himself it was out of respect as he might be holding the title but is still considered the challenger vs a better fighter.

Cotto is neither the best at 154, much less 160 and isnt even a ranked p4p fighter or THAT much a bigger name. Historically (modern mostly) its usually the bigger BETTER name that comes in second. Either way, what Cotto is doing is a slap in the face for one of the most stories titles/divisions in the sport vs the lineal champ. Could you imagine this happening 20-30 years ago? I dont think a fighter would even think about coming in second or asking for an unneded catchweight...

I love my dude Cotto but lets call this what it is and its a straight diva move. The name first (not an issue) and even the catchweight was kind of pushing it but coming in 2nd vs a top ranked p4p and lineal champ with a name whos also a huge favorite (as far a i know?). Really? Coming off a single Delvin win? Im not going to like him any less but IMO it's not right and disrespectful to the extreme.

Comment

funny how people bring up Mayweather as proof Cotto isn't being a Diva.

not coming to terms because of something simple as putting his name before the champ obvious evidence that Cotto has a huge ego. the fact that he didn't do it for Mayweather just means his ego can be bought for a big enough sum.

seriously Miguel Cotto refers to himself in the 3rd person. so please quit trying to defend him on this issue. sure he's a diva but that doesn't diminish what he does in the ring. most famous athletes are egotistical pricks, it doesn't diminish what they do.

Comment

Working...
                    X