Ratings for HBO 24/7 & Other Stuff

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratings for HBO 24/7 & Other Stuff

Nov 09, 2010 -
    The 24/7 series produced by HBO has largely been credited for creating a whirlwind hype machine for bouts showcased on the program. I'd hope so being that the price tag attached to producing and broadcasting the 4-part, 30 minutes series costs the promoter a cool $1.25 million (give or take a few shekkels).

The era of live viewers tuning into programming not deemed as "live-worthy" is quickly coming to an end. High-quality sports broadcasts are "live-worthy"... to a certain extent. Anything other than top level sporting action taking place, everything else can be caught On-Demand, On-DVR, On-Youtube, On-megaupload, or any variation of the the many bootleg outlets thriving today.

The 24/7 series at one point was ground-breaking must see television. These days it serves as merely a well-produced recap of what the hardcore boxing media documents every second of every day leading up to a major prize fight.

Michael Koncz getting married... the pac-maniac media covered it.

Buboy cannibalizing a whole roast pig with one bite... the pac-maniac media covered it.

Manny Pacquiao falling asleep at a congressional meeting... the pac-maniac media covered it.

24/7 is behind the times as the real-time media/social media aspect of the internet has blown the hinges off the former "real-time" reality series.

Here are the Nielsen Media ratings for the following:

10/23/2010 - HBO - Pacquiao-Margarito 24/7 Part 1 - First Live Showing - 348,000 total live viewers

10/30/2010 - HBO - Pacquiao-Margarito 24/7 Part 2 - First Live Showing - 298,000 total live viewers

11/6/2010 - HBO - Pacquiao-Margarito 24/7 Part 3 - First Live Showing - 731,000 total live viewers

11/6/2010 - HBO - Boxing After Dark - Guerrero/Escobedo - Judah/Mathysse - 766,000 total live viewers

Nothing really to celebrate about yet nothing to sneeze at.

The Boxing After Dark ratings aren't the lowest I've ever seen but yet again they aren't exactly stellar. Slippage continues my friends. HBO can tout their replay and DVR views all they want but the relevance of live ratings shows the importance of a bout to the general public. Kerry Davis, Ross Greenburg, and Bill Nelson seem concerned with losing the African American viewer... they SHOULD be concerned with losing the boxing fan PERIOD.

It was only 3 years ago on November 17, 2007 Humberto Soto would square off against Joan Guzman on HBO Boxing After Dark.

What as the live Nielsen rating for that bout?

1.4 million live viewers.

Almost double that of what we're seeing of a card headlined by Zab Judah.

(Just to keep things in perspective... Barrera-Pacquiao I drew 3.16 million live viewers in 2003 and Lewis-Klitschko drew 7.036 million live viewers in 2003 as well. For HBO to tout anything as stellar ratings today is assuming that the general public doesn't know any better.)

Something isn't working fellas. Being so small-minded worrying about one demographic of boxing fan is getting the overall product killed in terms of quality.

The most important thing that HBO should worry about is whether the 766,000 live viewers that tuned in this past Saturday felt as though they received their monthly subscriptions worth with the performance of the card. HBO won't. They're too small-minded and stupid.

Kerry Davis is inept.

Ross Greenburg is inept for letting Davis operate as such.

What's that you say? I'm being mean and ruthless with my words?

Middle finger to you I say... boxing fans have consistently been field-goal kicked in the testicles this year so I'm returning the favor to the overpaid, IQ lacking braintrust at HBO sports.

Give me Dimitry Pirog vs. David Lemieux in 2011.

Give Rigordo Lois... Giovanni Segura vs. Roman Gonzalez in 2011.

Give me Brandon Rios vs. Marcos Maidana in 2011.

Give me Tarvoris Cloud vs. Beibut Shumenov in 2011.

Give me some goddamn wars that HBO Sports can be proud of showcasing.

Nevermind... just let Kerry Davis continue to run HBO's boxing programming straight to the ****-hole in a futile attempt to corner one demographic while losing it's core in the process. Small-mindedness abounds in boxing from the top to the bottom I tell you.

It's a beautiful train-wreck to observe.

PS. For no reason at all, here are the purse amounts of this past weekend's card featured on Showtime.
    Alllan Green - $262,000
    Glen Johnson - $150,000
    Juan Manuel Lopez - $700,000
    Rafael Marquez - $700,000

http://theboxingtruth.com/article.php?id=1914

If true that Lopez got 700k, that's some bull that he wants 1 mil for Caballero. Clear duck.

Good thread by the way. TY.

Comment

Not everyone have HBO. People are just poor since America is in what now? depression?

Comment

24/7 Ratings for Pacquiao-Cotto

10/24/2009 - HBO - Pacquiao-Cotto 24/7 Pt. 1 - 338,000
        10/31/2009 - HBO - Pacquiao-Cotto 24/7 Pt. 2 - 341,000
        11/7/2009 - HBO - Pacquiao-Cotto 24/7 Pt. 3 - 424,000

That's a perfect comparison because it broadcast literally at the same time last year. Looks like Pac's appearance on Kimmel and higher overall exposure in the media led to a massive jump in viewership from the second to the third episode this year, while last year the gain was more or less steady.

Pacquiao-Cotto did 1.25 mil buys, so this bodes VERY well for Pacquiao-Margarito...

Plus the numbers don't take into account people watching replays, catching it On-Demand, and youtube which makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
          24/7 Ratings for Pacquiao-Cotto

10/24/2009 - HBO - Pacquiao-Cotto 24/7 Pt. 1 - 338,000
          10/31/2009 - HBO - Pacquiao-Cotto 24/7 Pt. 2 - 341,000
          11/7/2009 - HBO - Pacquiao-Cotto 24/7 Pt. 3 - 424,000

That's a perfect comparison because it broadcast literally at the same time last year. Looks like Pac's appearance on Kimmel and higher overall exposure in the media led to a massive jump in viewership from the second to the third episode this year, while last year the gain was more or less steady.

Pacquiao-Cotto did 1.25 mil buys, so this bodes VERY well for Pacquiao-Margarito...

Plus the numbers don't take into account people watching replays, catching it On-Demand, and youtube which makes a huge difference.
          Yeah man episode 3 of Pac-Marg has pretty insanse ratings (almost same as the HBO BAD card!) compared to episodes of Pac-Cotto and first 2 episodes of Pac-Marg. The Jimmy Kimmel show, 60 minutes, and other mainstream exposure should definitely help this fight.

Comment

That is some interesting info, especially because we rarely get viewing figures (while MMA websites report on it regularly).

One thing I would point out is that HBO ratings in general are much smaller then they were years ago. That's not to excuse the bad decisions by HBO boxing but shows like Boardwalk Empire and the Pacific had much smaller viewing figures then previous shows. I'm sure the internet has had a big impact on everything.

I remember hearing that Mayweather-Marquez 24/7 had the biggest ratings, hovering around the million mark, but not sure if that was true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty FSM View Post
              Yeah man episode 3 of Pac-Marg has pretty insanse ratings (almost same as the HBO BAD card!) compared to episodes of Pac-Cotto and first 2 episodes of Pac-Marg. The Jimmy Kimmel show, 60 minutes, and other mainstream exposure should definitely help this fight.
              Yeah, I think the # of buys will surprise a lot of people. There were TV ads for the fight airing during Sunday football games (watched by 26+ million people on different channels/times) and ESPN. Boxing was dead during the summer and people are hungry for a big time fight.

Comment

Nevermind, I was wrong about the May-Marquez 24/7 viewing figures:

"8-29-2009 - HBO - 24/7 Countdown to Mayweather-Marquez - 529,000 Live Viewers"

Comment

thats probably because they aired back to back that could be another reason for the high numbers on the 3rd episode

Comment

the boxing and the 24/7 part 3 were back to back i believe.

that's were the boost is from.

the 1st 2 , if i remember correctly , don't think had boxing that night.

Comment

Working...
                    X