Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bernard Hopkins Punctuates His Legacy With Historic Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Bernard Hopkins Punctuates His Legacy With Historic Win

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - MONTREAL – Rumors of an imminent doomsday had been greatly exaggerated.

But you’d have never known from the somber post-fight mood at the Bell Centre Saturday, as hometown hero Jean Pascal was separated from his world title belts – if not his existence – when Bernard Hopkins scored a razor-thin unanimous decision in their light heavyweight rematch.

The announced crowd of 17,560 set a record for an indoor boxing event in the city.

The two had fought five months earlier in Quebec City, where Pascal, a transplanted Haitian, escaped with a majority draw to retain his WBC and IBO championships, in spite of a widespread feeling at ringside that Hopkins, then 45, had done enough to rally from two early knockdowns.

He finished the job in the eyes of the judges in the encore – which had no knockdowns, but several ebbs and flows – winning verdicts of 115-113, 116-112 and 115-114 in what will likely be viewed a midterm candidate for fight of the year.

BoxingScene.com also gave it to Hopkins, 115-113 – or 7-5 in rounds.

“I didn’t feel like I was 46 tonight. I felt more like 36,” Hopkins said. “I think there are more great fights left in me. Like an entertainer in his last performance, you’ve got to give it all you’ve got.

“I give you breathtaking.”

The win earned Hopkins the WBC crown at 175 pounds and made him the oldest fighter to win a widely recognized world championship – surpassing the mark a 45-year-old George Foreman had established when he KO’d heavyweight belt-holder Michael Moorer in 1994.

Hopkins did not, however, capture Pascal’s IBO title. He refused to pay the Florida-based organization’s pre-fight sanctioning fee, and, as a result, its championship will be declared vacant. [Click Here To Read More]

I want to see the stats sheet, BPP. I'm going to bump my compuBox thread to update B-Hop's stats. B-Hop showed why fighting smart is important in this sport.

Comment

B.Hop fought his ass off...got robbed of 2 knock downs and was more hurt than lil bit in that last round...my heart dropped...no, for real....that lil few seconds scared the **** outta me ....props to the living legend!!

Comment

what an exciting fight. lots of holding and ****, but bhops deff put on a show. congrats to the executioner, dude deserves the belt...

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
          B.Hop fought his ass off...got robbed of 2 knock downs and was more hurt than lil bit in that last round...my heart dropped...no, for real....that lil few seconds scared the **** outta me ....props to the living legend!!
          man I was nervous the entire fight! but you're right that shot in the final round I was thinking "noooo he's so close from winning"

Comment

Now, if they took this one away from him, it would've REALLY been a Robbery.

115-113, 116-112, the scores seemed a little conservative.

Regardless, great fight, B-hop is not of this world.

Comment

Congrats to Bhops and Naazim as well!

Comment

I didn't have a single doubt in my mind that Hopkins would not get stopped at any point watching this fight.

Even at 46, hurt, against a 28 year old fighter.

Hopkins is too damn good to get stopped by Jean Pascal.

Comment

B-Hop fought a beautiful fight, historical night for the Living Legend.

Comment

I just remembered something from Friday Fight Night on ESPN. Teddy Atlas said he was for Pascal to win against Hopkins. Damn, Atlas made the wrong choice again. If he is a betting man, he'll be broke by the end of an hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X