No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire Unifies, Looks “Definitely” to Nishioka

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire Unifies, Looks “Definitely” to Nishioka

by Cliff Rold - For the second time, 29-year old Filipino WBO 122 lb. titlist Nonito Donaire (29-1, 18 KO) of San Leandro, California, holds two major titles in a weight class. This time, he did the unifying firsthand. For the second consecutive fight, Donaire captured a belt at Jr. Featherweight on Saturday night at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, adding the IBF belt of 33-year old Jeffrey Mathebula (26-4-2, 14 KO) of Brakpan, Gauteng, South Africa, to his resume with a unanimous decision. Donaire cemented the win with a fourth-round knockdown and a strong eleventh round against a Mathebula who gave him a long night.

Following the fight, Donaire gave his strongest nod to a future fight with Japan’s Toshiaki Nishioka, a bout that could determine the fight’s true World Champion.

Donaire, reigning in his third division, previously won the IBF Flyweight title and the WBC and WBO titles at Bantamweight with knockouts of Vic Darchinyan and Fernando Montiel respectively. He also won an interim belt at Jr. Bantamweight. Mathebula marked the sixth consecutive current, former, or future major titlist faced by Donaire dating to July 2010.

Donaire came into the bout at 121 ½, Mathebula at 121 ¾. The referee was Pat Russell.

A clipping Donaire right landed right away, Mathebula backing away and staying tall behind his jab. Donaire attempted a left lead, blocked, and Mathebula responded with a pawing combination. Switching between southpaw and orthodox stances, Donaire struggled in spots to find the taller man but when he did he made it count. The explosive Donaire struck with a big right to catch Mathebula’s attention in the middle of the round, Mathebula tripping over his own feet but staying off the floor. [Click Here To Read More]

He's a very worthy opponent. Another solid defense. Hopefully Rigo fights a name on that level next.

Comment

Yes please, i've been waiting for this fight since he announced his move to 122

Comment

Nishioka is the most established fighter at 122. Great fight. I would prefer Mares since he has the belt but Nishioka is the real champion so it is good. I can't wait!

Comment

the real champion is guillermo rigondeaux ,nonito say for him 3 championship is great why not dont like amb championcheap ,hi know guillermo rigondeaux to kill him

Comment

rigondeaux is the best 122 iin the world

Comment

Donaire would spark Rigo out.

Comment

Originally posted by reyes066 View Post
                the real champion is guillermo rigondeaux ,nonito say for him 3 championship is great why not dont like amb championcheap ,hi know guillermo rigondeaux to kill him
                Speak English, man.

Comment

nonito is way better than nishioka, rigo and mares combined...

one by one, nonito will collect their belts...

Comment

Nonito El cazamoscas Donaire.
                    Nonito The crowd celebrates my missing punches Donaire.
                    Nonito Just a good left hook Donaire.
                    Nonito Dancing with the stars Donaire.
                    Nonito No way I´m in the top 3 of superbantams Donaire.
                    Nonito Look my Demsey roll Donaire

Those make more sense than Filipino Flash.
                    Last edited by calamaro; 07-08-2012, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X