No announcement yet.

Biggest thing wrong with boxing ATM

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest thing wrong with boxing ATM

Now, I have been following this sport religiously since 2006 (when I joined this site through a cousin who started boxing and came here to talk boxing) and theres nothing better than seeing a quality fight ala Amir Khan v Marcos Maidana last weekend which was truly amazing, best fight I have seen in a long time. I was watching it via stream and I would have bought the fight if I had an inkling to how it would actually be but the thing is with boxing its risky finding more than 1 fight which you know will be quality and which will be worth paying like $50 for PPV. Look at the UFC, I have started following that sport/promotion since the Toney fight properly and man...their cards are nearly always STACKED. I mean theres always one fight beside the main event which is worthy of staying up to watch. Yeah these guys don't get paid as much as boxers but I think the top fighters (i.e. Mayweather/Pac/Haye/Khan etc etc) should take a paycut, nothing hugely significant but enough to get atleast 2-3 potential quality fights in a card, i.e. a supercard. A supercard should happen something 3 fights a year atleast because I know it'd be ridiculously hard to pull off a supercard every other event like the UFC.

Problems which arise though would be the Promoters, I reckon the fighters will budge because they know it'll be for the good of the sports and its fans but the promoters/agents are greedy as hell. Cracking them will be hard.

Not the BIGGEST Dana White fan, seems like a shady guy at times but you can't knock what hes done with the UFC and how awesome their promotion is (especially online via youtube, they have vlogs/properly no holds barred type of interviews i.e. with Ariel Helwani)

6:30-7:20 (Can't knock him for saying that, exactly what Im trying to say, put even more simply)
    Yes, completely. Main Eventers needs to take a paycut for the sport.
    66.67%
    No. Silly thread. Keeps things the way they are.
    0.00%
    Maybe. But I would do it differently.
    33.33%
    Last edited by hayZ; 12-17-2010, 11:28 AM.

Hahaha, that's a nice fairy tale thinking that fighters will take a pay cut.

It's a double edged sword man, on one hand, an organization like the UFC is great because you see the fights you want to see but the fighters get no pay because there isn't a rival organization to raise the price.

In boxing, fighters get all the money but we as fans don't see the fights we want because promoters don't take the risks that they should.

The answer is regulating boxing more, like having one federal organization watching over the sport and forcing the promoters to make the mandatory fights we want to see.

Will it happen? Who knows...........

Comment

If you really follow the UFC they are going in to more of the boxing format, one big fight and not much else.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
        Hahaha, that's a nice fairy tale thinking that fighters will take a pay cut.

It's a double edged sword man, on one hand, an organization like the UFC is great because you see the fights you want to see but the fighters get no pay because there isn't a rival organization to raise the price.

In boxing, fighters get all the money but we as fans don't see the fights we want because promoters don't take the risks that they should.

The answer is regulating boxing more, like having one federal organization watching over the sport and forcing the promoters to make the mandatory fights we want to see.

Will it happen? Who knows...........
        Agreed, its hard to see it happening but a UFC event is a spectacle, its pure entertainment from the get-go, whereas boxing is usually entertaining for the main event, even that most of the time nowadays sucks unless you're a Khan/Pacman/Maidana/Haye etc etc. I really don't think boxing is promoted as well as it should be imo, before there used to be fight advertisements on T.V regularly and even on billboards on the street, nowadays you just get a build up on sky sports news and maybe on itv/bbc a couple of days before the fight if the person is a TOP uk fighter, Skelton/Williams didn't get no coverage for their heavyweight challenges, nor was Chisora getting any airtime.

UFC's marketing/advertising team are fantastic, the boxing teams are getting lazy. More and more kids are getting into MMA instead of boxing, especially here in the UK...before boxing was the sport for kids who wanted to get off the streets and become legends like ali/tyson now its mma. It get advertised alot and its appealing! Boxing should add some more 'jazz' to its promotions and spice things up. Pacman/Mayweather/Haye/Klitchskos/Froch will all be retired in 2-3 years, and I don't see any universally appealing/unique fighters who can take their place, sure we have Khan but he isn't the most charismatic like a Prince Naseem who really captivated the nation...

Comment

Working...
        X