No announcement yet.

Teófilo Stevenson has died

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Stevenson only would have fought Ali when Ali as getting up there in age, in Alis mid 30's. Stevenson would have had great fights with Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, Earnie Shavers, Trevor Berbick, Ron Lyle, on eventually probably Mike Tyson. Stevenson had crazy skills.
    Yeah he had mad skills, the Cuban Ali, one of my favorite old time HW's

RIP Champ

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
      i remember hearing a story where duran met fidel castro..and castro asked duran what he thought about an ali vs stevenson fight and duran without hesitation told castro that ali would beat stevenson's ass...and shortly after duran was told to leave lol. R.I.P. stevenson..i bet you would have given ali and the other great HWs at the time a hell of a fight.
      Haha ****ing Duran!

Comment

Terrible news. I'm saddened by this.

Teófilo was from my hometown in Cuba. I never met him, but some of my aunts and uncles knew him.

Stevenson was a hero of mine as a child. I remember watching him dismantle other heavyweights during the 1976 Olympics. He made me proud.

Teófilo is regarded as one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time, having won three Olympic gold medals. I don't know if he would've become world champion during the strong heavyweight era he fought in, but it's testament to his ability that his name is even mentioned.

Farewell, Teó. Thank you for the memories. And thank you for the pride you wrought in me.

Comment

One of the greatest pro fighters that never was.

So long, champ. Keep on punching in heaven.

Comment

Rest in peace Teófilo.

Comment

A great Poster that a mexican sports newspaper did of Teofilo

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                Terrible news. I'm saddened by this.

Teófilo was from my hometown in Cuba. I never met him, but some of my aunts and uncles knew him.

Stevenson was a hero of mine as a child. I remember watching him dismantle other heavyweights during the 1976 Olympics. He made me proud.

Teófilo is regarded as one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time, having won three Olympic gold medals. I don't know if he would've become world champion during the strong heavyweight era he fought in, but it's testament to his ability that his name is even mentioned.

Farewell, Teó. Thank you for the memories. And thank you for the pride you wrought in me.
                He was something. In his 30s and 40s and still in the olympics beating up the teenagers. Castro's pride and joy. RIP

Comment

Stevenson would have beaten the likes of Norton, Shavers, Lyle, Berbick, Bobick, Young, Cooney, Weaver, and Dokes. And he would have given Larry Holmes one hell of a fight, may have turned into a trilogy.

Comment

Rest In Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
                      He was something. In his 30s and 40s and still in the olympics beating up the teenagers. Castro's pride and joy. RIP
                      Some examples: Stevenson defeated the American Duane Bobick at the Munich games in 1972. Duane was 22; Teofilo was 20. Stevenson defeated American "Big" John Tate at the Montreal games in 1976. John was 21; Stevenson was 24. Stevenson defeated the Russian Pyotr Zayev for the gold medal at the Moscow games in 1980. Pyotr was 27; Teofilo was 28.

Fuck Fidel. But Teofilo Stevenson was an amateur boxing and Olympic legend, beloved by his people who aren't necessarily communists. Respect the passing of this great athlete.

Comment

Working...
                      X