No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Peterson’s Clean Return Sets up 140-pound Smorgasbord

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Peterson’s Clean Return Sets up 140-pound Smorgasbord

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - OK, it took every bit of 440 days. But I guess I’m officially on board.

Seems this Lamont Peterson kid can fight, after all.

I’ll concede to being on the naysayer side of his ledger since Dec. 10, 2011, when an IBF/WBA title fight – or district-sanctioned cable TV mugging, if you prefer – ended within him emerging from the Washington Convention Center ring with everything short of Amir Khan’s wallet.

I had Khan winning seven of 12 rounds for what would have been a 115-112 scorecard margin under normal one-knockdown circumstances that night, though it was trimmed to just a single point courtesy of the still-iffy penalty machinations of overmatched referee Joseph Cooper.

I’ll admit the lingering bad taste of that first go-round might have impacted how I felt about a rematch, and, when Peterson scuttled those plans by getting popped for PEDs in a voluntary test a few months prior… well, let’s just say he didn’t help his case with me.

But he may have won me back a little on Friday.

Though I’d still rank his “the testosterone was medically prescribed” explanation below my 4-year-old’s “Mommy said I could draw on the kitchen floor” bargaining, I will give him credit for eventually shutting his mouth, taking his punishment and returning to work with the same grinding lunch-pail approach that suited him so well – win, lose or draw – in the match against Khan. [Click Here To Read More]

"I’ll concede to being on the naysayer side of his ledger since Dec. 10, 2011, when an IBF/WBA title fight – or district-sanctioned cable TV mugging, if you prefer – ended within him emerging from the Washington Convention Center ring with everything short of Amir Khan’s wallet."

"I had Khan winning seven of 12 rounds for what would have been a 115-112 scorecard margin under normal one-knockdown circumstances that night, though it was trimmed to just a single point courtesy of the still-iffy penalty machinations of overmatched referee Joseph Cooper."

THANK YOU!!

Amir Khan Was Robbed Blindly that night!! In reality he won at least 116-112.

Comment

he' have a better chance vs Khan than Mathyssee, but Pete's big problem is he has no drawing power...he got $37,500 4 this bout before taxes & xpenses, pitiful...

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
        he' have a better chance vs Khan than Mathyssee, but Pete's big problem is he has no drawing power...he got $37,500 4 this bout before taxes & xpenses, pitiful...
        Agreed. I just don't see Peterson beating Matthysse at all.

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
          He actually drew 3500 fans to his fight with Holt. Also had 8500 i think vs Khan. He can draw in DC.

The 37,500 was a result of a purse bid and Shaw (holts promoter) won it with such a low amount because Peterson's promoter (dont know who it was) didnt bid so the 50K had a 75/25 split. He had no control of the purse

Comment

Lyle, if you recall, the knockdown against Khan was bogus

Comment

Everyone will have a problem with matthysse if he continues to come in at 165lbs for fightnight...how come this fact is hardly ever really mentioned? percentage-wise its much stranger than Chavez jr's bloating...

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                He actually drew 3500 fans to his fight with Holt. Also had 8500 i think vs Khan. He can draw in DC.

The 37,500 was a result of a purse bid and Shaw (holts promoter) won it with such a low amount because Peterson's promoter (dont know who it was) didnt bid so the 50K had a 75/25 split. He had no control of the purse
                Saw the fight last nite, and Peterson's Stock is on the Rise!!!!
                Khan should Fight Pet again to prove he's an Elite Cat!!!
                Last edited by jbpanama; 02-26-2013, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Garcia, Maidana, Matthysse...All You Have To Do Is Say "When"; They'll Fight!

There is some serious talent right there. All of which Mayweather wants no part of them. EVER. Floyd could have fought Maidana, and Marcos destroyed Victor Ortiz in 8 rounds, but Floyd waited for Ortiz to get up off the canvas, and he selected him (the loser), and fought him instead. Since when does a champion see two contenders fight, and he selects the loser who just got train wrecked?!!!? SO now that Peterson is clean, and will stay that way, It's time to have some Super Fights in place. Peterson vs Garcia.... Maidana vs Matthysse... Guerrero KO's Mayweather... Pacquiao KO's Marquez in a 5th fight... THEN we have a tournament before us to unify the division. Garcia beats Peterson.... Maidana defeats Matthysse... Guerrero KO's Junior... Pacquiao KO's Marquez.... Then you have Garcia vs Maidana.... Guerrero take on Pacquiao... and the winners UNIFY. Say what? Tim Bradley? He doesn't count. He never beat anyone but Devon Alexander.
                  Last edited by tlarry; 02-26-2013, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X