Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Mayweather fighting Guerrero over Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Canelo wants no challenges he wants to keep fighting 10th grade bullys.

Comment

Yes a cherry pick is an opponent you think you have a better chance of beating over another opponent.

Comment

Robert is there to let Floyd know if he has any business in the ring with Canelo. A "tune-up" I guess...I consider Ghost more than that, but I can see why people are let down. I'll really go off the deep end and say that Robert is the perfect tune-up for either Canelo or Trout because of his ability to fight in multiple styles all while being a southpaw.

Not saying either of them will end up winning but this is a boxing pick, not a money fight. Robert has been injured but is relatively fresh for his age. Floyd's older and has been inactive so there might be some question in their minds where he is against younger fighters. If you want to criticize the fight t=hat's fine, Floyd has done this to himself by taking time off to maximize dollars in every fight he makes

I don't think we can really say that the Cotto fight gives us/them a good indication of where Floyd is after seeing how Trout dominated him.

so thats why I think they do it from a boxing perspective...

as far as money, well it looks like Robert is on his list of opponents regardless of which order they take. From that premise, it seems to make sense to fight Robert first (for the reasons I mentioned above) and to maximize both events. Since he is a smaller name and they have the built in storyline of Floyd's inactivity and jail time, they don't need to spend a ton of money in promoting and elevating Robert since there will be interest in Floyd's return anyway. Floyd-Canelo, with or without the jail/inactivity thing, will sell.

if you'd like to argue that Floyd-Trout should be the fight that happens first, I could get with that because they have the recent common opponent and Trout being a no-name means less during a promotion of floyd coming back. however, if there was some imaginary boxing totem pole, I'd put Robert slightly above trout in the deserving category because he's been in the game longer
          Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
            Yes a cherry pick is an opponent you think you have a better chance of beating over another opponent.
            Cherry pick is an opponent who has no chance of beating you.

Comment

The ghost is a good lil fighter like Floyd would say but really??? I mean really? He's gonna fight Floyd? Aydin and berto gets u Floyd? I rather see Danny Garcia khan, rios, Lucas, maidana. Robert isn't a hbo ppv headliner that's fact. Top rank gets a lotta of heat. But they did give us rios vs Alvarado PAC vs jmm and Chavez vs Martinez.

Comment

Guerrero beat Berto for the interm WBC belt, which Floyd has (I believe). So in essence he is facing his mandatory challenger and a top 10 (hell top 3) welterweight.

A Canelo fight makes 2 dollars today, but 4 dollars tommorow. I think everyone realizes that he doesn't have a big list of credentials for 154 and a shot at Mayweather regardless of wheteher or not he would be a bigger challenge. By staging this semi-tournament he gets a legit 154 win that justify's a Mayweather fight and builds hype by having them co-healdine.

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
                  Really, ive been a bit misled or guided then. Cos i swear i hear people say Pac cherry picked JMM, Bradley, Margarito and many similar type opponents.

Maybe they rated Pac so highly

Comment

it's quite rather simple really.

>Floyd

1. Easy fight against a guy who recently just moved up from featherweight

2. Tough fight against a legit JMW

which two go together?

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
                      Incorrect.

Opponent A might think that opponent B is going to be an easy fight and selects him.

but opponent B beats opponent A.

Possible reasons(Some of the below are similar):
                      - Lucky punch.
                      - Punchers chance.
                      - Opponent B was actually better than opponent A thought.
                      - Opponent A took the fight too lightly and under-trained.
                      - Opponent A was injured/cuts in the fight.
                      - Opponent B came in with a great game plan. Opponent A didn't.
                      - Opponent B had the fight of his life.
                      - Styles makes fights. Opponent A was actually tailor made for Opponent B.
                      - Opponent A is better in every way over Opponent B but Opponent B was able to capitalize on Opponent A's weaknesses.
                      - Opponent C was going to be tougher than opponent B. So opponent A took the easier fight being opponent B. Therefore, cherry picking by selecting the easier fight.
                      Last edited by ADP02; 01-11-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X