What Happened to the Swarming Style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    Abner Mares isn't a swarmer? If not then define the "swarming style"
    Thank you for bringing him up. The smaller weight divisions aren't my focus, so I forgot about him. Seeing Mares performance in his most recent fight made me happy. That was some good swarming.

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
    Amir Khan swarms and so does Pacquiao, Timothy Bradley, and a few others. Some of them may not be Swarmers perse but they do tend to go in all the time
    Yes, I can see why you would say Bradley swarms. He's versatile and can fight at a variety of ranges. His swarming alone doesn't stand out.

The swarmer tag is far too specialized to give it to Khan. He's a brawler or puncher with the handspeed and proportions to masquerade as a boxer-puncher.

pacquiao can barely fight inside, struggles to cut off the ring, and doesn't apply a steady pressure. Ambush fighters are too in and out.

Comment

When I say swarmer I mean

Henry Armstrong
      Joe Frazier
      Mike Tyson
      JCC
      Duran

One can still be a pressure fighter or applying pressure without being a swarmer (examples: LaMotta and Alvarez).

The essence of swarming is constant pressure executed at closer quarters. They know how to cut off the ring, love to work the body, often have great stamina and chin, etc.
      Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Leo Santa Cruz?

Comment

The Baby Bull was a swarmer, and quite good at it too.

Comment

What about Paul Williams? Wasn't he a swarmer?

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post

Henry Armstrong
              Joe Frazier
              Mike Tyson
              JCC
              Duran

One can still be a pressure fighter or applying pressure without being a swarmer (examples: LaMotta and Alvarez).

The essence of swarming is constant pressure executed at closer quarters. They know how to cut off the ring, love to work the body, often have great stamina and chin, etc.
              You just described Abner Mares

Comment

Would you describe Calzaghe as a swarmer? Personally i don't think he falls into any particular category

Comment

Rios
                  Glen Johnson
                  Hatton

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post

Henry Armstrong
                    Joe Frazier
                    Mike Tyson
                    JCC
                    Duran

Duran was no swarmer.

Comment

Working...
                    X