Running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running

Hey guys

I've just started running again. I use to train a lot a couple of years ago but after a few life changes I've not been able to get back into until now.

Anyway, I've been working on my breathing - since I started again its usually my chest that gives out first rather than my legs or arms - After a month I'm starting to get back to my old pace!! I'm about 1 minute a mile off it now!!

Today I got this horrible pain in my stomach. It was like 2 intense stitches in the front, now I know a stitch is caused by a build up of carbon dioxide and you can get them if you dont control your breathing while running (by holding in to much oxygen) but this was different, it was really intense on there were 2 around the front rather than one around the side.

Was just wondering if anyone had any general tips on controlling breathing and if they know what that stitch thing might have been? I could just be being a girl and it was only a stitch but I thought I would ask

Seeing as you are just getting back into running its no surprise that you are suffering from stitches.

You are working muscles that haven't seen much recent use. You can find all sorts of aches all over your diaphragm and abdomen, so don't worry. Just take it easy and gradually increase your mileage over the coming weeks.

A good warm up with stretches and strides, really can help prevent stitches.

As for breathing, try not to shallow breathe (rapid short breaths that feel like you're using the top of your diaphragm). But let your body, pace, rhythm and level of exertion dictate how often and deeply you need to breathe.

Take it easy.....

And just a thought, fast starts with non or little warm up have caused me in the past to get sore lower abs. The trick to a fast paced mile is an even pace throughout....
    Last edited by Sugarj; 06-21-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sage84 View Post
      Hey guys

I've just started running again. I use to train a lot a couple of years ago but after a few life changes I've not been able to get back into until now.

Anyway, I've been working on my breathing - since I started again its usually my chest that gives out first rather than my legs or arms - After a month I'm starting to get back to my old pace!! I'm about 1 minute a mile off it now!!

Today I got this horrible pain in my stomach. It was like 2 intense stitches in the front, now I know a stitch is caused by a build up of carbon dioxide and you can get them if you dont control your breathing while running (by holding in to much oxygen) but this was different, it was really intense on there were 2 around the front rather than one around the side.

Was just wondering if anyone had any general tips on controlling breathing and if they know what that stitch thing might have been? I could just be being a girl and it was only a stitch but I thought I would ask
      What SugarJ said. Don't run too fast is one of my advice. Build your pace back to a 7. I started mine from 5 and now I'm in 6. It took me 3 weeks (3 days of running every week). I didn't force myself to run fast. Now, I can last 30 minutes at 8 speed.

NOTE: Those numbers represent the speeds listed on the treadmill. Mine goes from 1 to 10.

Your painful stitches really means that you are slightly overweight and unhealthy. So, I think you should walk first for 30 minutes then run for 10 minutes. Slowly switch the two up like 25 minutes walk then run for 15 minutes and so forth. It will help you lose weight and make your muscles stronger without straining them. Don't shock your body.

Comment

Working...
      X