No announcement yet.

The GOAT ladies and gentlemen.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    You forgot to mention his chin, his stamina, his dedication, and his precision.

His defense was lacking somewhat but his chin more than made up for that.

Regardless of your personal opinion ; the general concensus from most boxing insiders was that Robinson was at his best at Welterweight. You say he was at his best at Middleweight? That's fine.

But I feel much more comfortable taking it from the men who were there to witness it, rather than you.

No offense.

Why take my opinion? The footage speaks for itself. That is not how the greatest of all time looks against a Mediocre at best Middleweight who punches like a lightweight.

Remember, Jake LaMotta made a grand total of 1 title defense, and he picked up the strap because Marcel Cerdan quit on his stool with an arm injury, Vitali style... Not a world beater in the least...

SRR was a great fighter for his time, but he is WAY over blown, especially considering some of the real technicians of the time such as Pep and Walcott, and Moore

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post

Why take my opinion? The footage speaks for itself. That is not how the greatest of all time looks against a Mediocre at best Middleweight who punches like a lightweight.

Remember, Jake LaMotta made a grand total of 1 title defense, and he picked up the strap because Marcel Cerdan quit on his stool with an arm injury, Vitali style... Not a world beater in the least...

SRR was a great fighter for his time, but he is WAY over blown, especially considering some of the real technicians of the time such as Pep and Walcott, and Moore
      I would certainly agree that Ray didn't look his best in that one, and I didn't think he really looked amazing in half of the footage I've seen of him vs. LaMotta, either.

He may be overblown a bit, but Jesus Christ ; what fighter isn't? Look at all of this Pacquiao/Armstrong **** that sprung up post-Hatton.

On the whole though I think his skill level and quality of work is on par, if not better than anybody else's.

Though I will concur with you on Walcott and Moore being more skillful. Pep I never got the chance to see, save for a few youtube videos but not enough to make any sort of valid observation.

But skill is only one part of the equation, there's also longevity, quality of opposition, and a ****load of other things to consider.

Regardless ; it's all mere speculation and opinion anyway.

But for my $0.02, Robinson's combinations, speed, accuracy, power, and footwork were truly breath taking.

Do you at least consider him ahead of his time?

How do you think he would fare against today's crop of top Welterweights?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        You forgot to mention his chin, his stamina, his dedication, and his precision.

His defense was lacking somewhat but his chin more than made up for that.

Regardless of your personal opinion ; the general concensus from most boxing insiders was that Robinson was at his best at Welterweight. You say he was at his best at Middleweight? That's fine.

But I feel much more comfortable taking it from the men who were there to witness it, rather than you.

No offense.
        No, I mentioned all those when I said he was a SSM clone.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post

Pay due homage, bitches.
          Im better than Sugar Ray Robinson

- Fake Fraud Gayweather.

Sugar Ray Robinson got losses, Im undefeated

- Fake Coward Gayweather.

Comment

No, I mentioned all those when I said he was a SSM clone.
            If you really believe that though ; doesn't that make SSM a SRR clone?

Considering SRR came first, and all?

Comment

Good video...that whole Jimmy Doyle thing was crazy

Comment

Shawn who the fuk is better? Ssm hahahaha he took roids srr never did........

Comment

Originally posted by KILLA RIGHT View Post
                  Shawn who the fuk is better? Ssm hahahaha he took roids srr never did........
                  Gayweather is better... or so he says.

He's undefeated. SRR has losses.

Comment

There is a lot more to boxing than being a technician. Like it or not, Robinson beat much greater fighters and a lot more of them than any of the guys you mentioned.

That means he is the greatest, not because of his skills or anything but because he beat the best opposition and more of them than anyone else.

Anyway, I think you're missing a hell of a lot of what Robinson did.

Unlike Mosley, and this was easily one of Robinson's greatest weapons, he had an amazing jab that he used upstairs, downstairs, up and down. I think he had one of the best jabs to the body. A real stiff jab straight to the pit of belly. Mosley doesn't even have a jab and can't defend against one. Robinson could.

Comment

Why basing his lose on LaMotta? He beat him quickly in their rematch Pwill style.

Comment

Working...
                      X