Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to understand why Americans have the right to own a gun

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have the right because United States of America said so! Haha. I still don't get why some people from other countries are so concerned about why we have certain freedoms. To each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by heat27 View Post
      Lol no doubt
      No Diggity, No Doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
        Ok, thank you for that, great explanation!

What's the purpose of it now though, it seems like does more harm than good.
        Well, like many amendments in the constitution, the origins definitely seem to be from an ancient relic of a bygone era. . .

There's a lot of reasons why the second amendment hasn't been, nor will probably ever be overturned. . . Many people now just have this mindset that our founding fathers were so noble, and that we need to honor the constitution. .

Others believe that the amendment still has just as much relevance now; not just to protect from potential government tyranny, but from other citizens - it's a fundamental right to be able to "defend your home"

In the Supreme Court, there are two main ways of interpreting the constitution - originalist thinking, which is basically just interpreting the constitution word for word, as it literally was written. . Others, take an "organic" approach - meaning that they think we should "read between the lines", and that the constitution is a "living, evolving" document that should change, and applied depending on the needs of the people.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
          Well, like many amendments in the constitution, the origins definitely seem to be from an ancient relic of a bygone era. . .

There's a lot of reasons why the second amendment hasn't been, nor will probably ever be overturned. . . Many people now just have this mindset that our founding fathers were so noble, and that we need to honor the constitution. .

Others believe that the amendment still has just as much relevance now; not just to protect from potential government tyranny, but from other citizens - it's a fundamental right to be able to "defend your home"

In the Supreme Court, there are two main ways of interpreting the constitution - originalist thinking, which is basically just interpreting the constitution word for word, as it literally was written. . Others, take an "organic" approach - meaning that they think we should "read between the lines", and that the constitution is a "living, evolving" document that should change, and applied depending on the needs of the people.
          So what is your opinion on this matter?

Comment

It's just become so engrained in our culture. . . I tend to agree that we should have the rights to own guns, but there should be strict regulations on WHAT KIND of gun you can own, and WHO can own a gun. . . To use a hackneyed, cliche - "guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris kills people". . . (seriously, though, PEOPLE kill people). . I think blaming it on the fact that it is legal to own guns detracts from the REAL REASON why tragedies like this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
              So what is your opinion on this matter?

I believe we should have the right to own guns. . . There needs to be stricter regulations, though. . .

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                I believe we should have the right to own guns. . . There needs to be stricter regulations, though. . .
                I think shotguns and rifles for hunting is ok, but I am not ok with owning handguns.

And yeah, people kill people but guns make it a lot easier. Just imagine going in the woods and trying to kill a bird with your bare hands, a rock, a sling shot, a blow-gun, air rifle, shotgun. There is a difference.

Comment

I'm against guns. Too many ******s out there with legit permits that will pull a trigger at a bar if you flirted with his woman.

Having guns just gives people the excuse to use it and try to justify why they shot that un-armed guy 7 times. And I was joking with my other post. You can't even get into a fist fight without being in fear of a gun retaliation.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K12 View Post
                    I'm against guns. Too many ******s out there with legit permits that will pull a trigger at a bar if you flirted with his woman.

Having guns just gives people the excuse to use it and try to justify why they shot that un-armed guy 7 times. And I was joking with my other post. You can't even get into a fist fight without being in fear of a gun retaliation.
                    I would be afraid too.

Comment

I shoot a bare bow or traditional whatever you want to call it. People using compound bows could literally become a better shot than me in 5 to 25 minutes just because of the advantages of this hi tech bow. Then you go with a cross-bow and it's almost the same as a rifle. And right now in the woods,s it's very rare that you see people hunting with a traditional bow, most of the hunting is with rifles, shotguns, compound bows and cross-bows.
                      So I am relating this to conflict b/w amongst people and the advantages of having a gun, how much easier it is to get to the desired outcome.
                      Last edited by pesticid; 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X