Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Fight of The Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Fight of The Year

By Cliff Rold - Magnitude matters.

There are times a fight occurs a little off the radar and it’s so good that it doesn’t matter what happened among bigger stars or on bigger stages. 2001 was a little like that, Mickey Ward-Emmanuel Augustus beating out a Bernard Hopkins-Felix Trinidad because it was just that good.

There are other times when an inferior action fight is just so big that it doesn’t matter what happened in the ring elsewhere. 1996 is a great example, Evander Holyfield-Mike Tyson I getting the nod over Marco Antonio Barrera-Kennedy McKinney and Arturo Gatti-Wilson Rodriguez. The Heavyweight fight was plenty good; the other two were better in the ring.

But it was Holyfield, and Tyson, and it was huge.

In a 2012 with multiple high quality fights, the question of the very best of them came down to just two. Those two aren’t like the examples in 2001 or 1996. This was a choice between two fights that, on their own, were action classics. One was clearly bigger. The other, second for second, may have had a bit more violence.

This year, a fitting analogy might come from 1982.

In that year, Aaron Pryor-Alexis Arguello I and Bobby Chacon-Bazooka Limon IV stood out from the crowd. The latter took the nod at Ring Magazine only for the former to later be named that publication’s “Fight of the Decade.” Both were fantastic fights (and, admittedly, either would have won out over the choices this year). Chacon-Limon IV, blow for blow, may have been more violent. Pryor-Arguello I featured the higher quality pedigree.

The implication in the “Decade” selection was about a test of time. [Click Here To Read More]

the fact of the matter is i saw 3 fights (rios-alvarado, guerrero-berto, pac-jmm 4) that reminded me why i love boxing. i agree pac-jmm was foty because of the magnitude of the event. rios-alvarado when i watched it seemed a clear foty and i was sure nothing would surpass it. then i saw guerrero and berto thrill over 12 rounds in maybe a more one sided but also more brutal affair. the cherry on top came with the unexpected KO of the P4P kingpin and fighter of the decade getting absolutely faceplanted in a thrilling close. gotta love boxing!

Comment

I agree, and while guerrero-berto was a great fight, it was only good in a sense that a drug cheater go slapped around like an animal and abused by a former featherweight. this needs to happen more often. unfortunately berto clinched too often to make it a FOTY.

Comment

Kinda surprised that Maidana vs Soto Karass didn't get a mention but there were a lot of great fights this year

Comment

I agree..... Loved Rios-Alvarado but you just couldn't top Pac-Marquez......

Comment

BS's 2012 FOTY

truly, Pac-Marq IV is a significant fight in the history of boxing. just like how Pac-Mayweather is. Sadly, Pac-Mayweather is far from happening...

Comment

I'm a firm believer in Khan-Garcia having the styles to make a classic...if Khan would've recovered, I think that fight would've been FOTY imo....it looked like it had the makings and I kept saying it leading up to the fight...but yea, Rios and Alvarado was dope until the ref got stupid...Pac-Marquez lit it up, no doubt!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
                I'm a firm believer in Khan-Garcia having the styles to make a classic...if Khan would've recovered, I think that fight would've been FOTY imo....it looked like it had the makings and I kept saying it leading up to the fight...but yea, Rios and Alvarado was dope until the ref got stupid...Pac-Marquez lit it up, no doubt!!
                you thought that was a bad stoppage?

Comment

Originally posted by happyman View Post
                  you thought that was a bad stoppage?

sick vid!!!!

yea, I felt like Mike was hurt but we've seen him dig down before and take dudes out...it was back and forth all night and at some point we all knew somebody was gonna get rocked but we also knew whoever caught it was capable of pulling it together and giving it back...we've seen BOTH dudes do that in the past...I just thought Mike should've been given his chance to do what we know he can....somebody had to get starched for me to be satisified...where was my man Smoger when we need him?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
                    sick vid!!!!

yea, I felt like Mike was hurt but we've seen him dig down before and take dudes out...it was back and forth all night and at some point we all knew somebody was gonna get rocked but we also knew whoever caught it was capable of pulling it together and giving it back...we've seen BOTH dudes do that in the past...I just thought Mike should've been given his chance to do what we know he can....somebody had to get starched for me to be satisified...where was my man Smoger when we need him?
                    im sorta 50/50 on the stoppage, i mean he was getting pulverized but like you said it's pretty hard to actually *hurt* alvarado. im looking forward to the rematch

Comment

Working...
                    X