Rugby championships in Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    Thats Rugby Sevens you ****ing ignorant mong
    This x1000 (well not the mong bit, but okay)

OP you weren't watching rugby, you were watching rugby sevens. It's a good game, but very different to 15-man rugby. Less confrontational, and more athletic.

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
    I cant figure out why some tackles guys can keep running after and sometimes they cant.
    How do you mean?

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    The stamina thing is a terrible argument. So the best in shape NFL players, not offensive and defensive linemen, wouldn't have the stamina to keep up with rugby players??? If America played rugby on a national level and cared for it like Football, basball, basketball, they'd smash rugby players. I'm sorry.
    Definitely not. NFL players are trained for explosivity, their game stops after every play, rugby keeps on going.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      Stay out of New York.
      Why? Is it full of horrible ****s?

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      If you really want a sport where NFL players could cross over then try Rugby League for your smaller running guys. Rules are similar (you run, get tackled, reset etc). You have to make a certain distance before you get tackled a certain number of times.
      Rugby League players are all 6'2 and 190 lbs. I played both, there's a place for everyone on a Union team but if you're not tall, strong and fast in League you're pretty much off the team. Went to school with a couple of pro League players.

And for the more... errr... rotund NFL players, try this...

Sumo wrestlers are actually very fit, despite their bulk. This might be a better bet:

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      The stamina thing is a terrible argument. So the best in shape NFL players, not offensive and defensive linemen, wouldn't have the stamina to keep up with rugby players???
      No they wouldn't. American football is set up as a series of sprints with long recovery periods in between and even then the teams are able to switch players at will whenever anyone needs a break from standing up for too long.

Rugby is played for forty minutes with no breaks, then they have a ten minute rest then they play again for forty minutes with no breaks. As a player you're expected to play and run non-stop for the entire length of the game.

If America played rugby on a national level and cared for it like Football, basball, basketball, they'd smash rugby players. I'm sorry.
      If Americans embraced rugby as a major sport there's a good chance that they would do very well. Third most populous nation on earth, by far the richest and they invest more into sports than anyone else. But they wouldn't run away with it, because the 6'5 230 lb wide receivers and the 6'3 250 lb linebackers would not be able to sustain their output for that kind of time. You would find that your field of available players would narrow considerably as you started to train and select for stamina, will to play and also for vision and awareness of the game.

If you're playing rugby you need to know the game. Every player to some degree or another needs to be able to read the defense of their opponent in order to make the right pass, every player needs to read the positioning of the opponent's offense in order to get to the right position. If you're fast and strong and can catch a ball you can play as a wide receiver. You run exactly where you're told to and catch the ball when it comes to you, that's your job.

The only player who at any point needs to have particular vision is the QB and even that is diminished by the fact that the coach can give him instructions directly into his helmet.

Oh yeah and helmets. Come on.

Comment

Oh yeah and this rugby championship you were watching? It's a really crappy version of the game called Sevens. Instead of being 15 a side it's 7 a side. Also the tournament is not the World Championship, it's part of the World Series (which unlike in Baseball is in fact a series of games played around the world) and not any sort of championship.

So the championship isn't a championship and the game is a third rate version of the sport. It's a bit like saying "Man, these Arena Football guys are really slow! Rugby is a way better game!".

Right now the second most prestigious Rugby Union tournament in the world is being played. It's called the Six Nations and involved England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy. The only bigger tournament is the Rugby World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          Oh yeah and this rugby championship you were watching? It's a really crappy version of the game called Sevens. Instead of being 15 a side it's 7 a side. Also the tournament is not the World Championship, it's part of the World Series (which unlike in Baseball is in fact a series of games played around the world) and not any sort of championship.

So the championship isn't a championship and the game is a third rate version of the sport. It's a bit like saying "Man, these Arena Football guys are really slow! Rugby is a way better game!".

Right now the second most prestigious Rugby Union tournament in the world is being played. It's called the Six Nations and involved England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy. The only bigger tournament is the Rugby World Cup.
          Rugby 7's is actually hugely tough in its own right though, the fitness you need despite its short running time is incredible. Rest assured it takes a ridiculously fit person to sprint full on for 14 minutes with only 1 minute break in between. Its no Union or League though

Comment

Athleticism isnt as much taught as stamina.

Comment

Not even close. I can train to run a marathon I can't train to be Bo Jackson.

Comment

If you put the NFL elite (excluding QB's) in rugby against the Rugby elite, I'm sorry but the rugby elite are going to get absolutely SMASHED by the NFL elite. Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, etc.

They would absolutely destroy any Rugby elite team. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

Comment

Didn't Dhani Jones (former NFL linebacker) play for some pro club in England's reserve squad in a reserves match on his TV show and he was playing at near their level after like a day or two of practice...and he was 35 or so at the time.

Adrian Peterson as a runner

Comment

not sure i get the sentence but stamina is not all about work ethic.

If you and me both went out running together, (assuming we were magically same height and build) for a few months and then ran a marathon. One of use would be better than the other due to genetics.

Hence why i posted earlier that you can improve stamina through training but some will be able to reach higher levels than others.

Otherwise i could get training now and as long as im training harder than the competitors, i could win the Olympic marathon... Which is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Perkins View Post
                      If you put the NFL elite (excluding QB's) in rugby against the Rugby elite, I'm sorry but the rugby elite are going to get absolutely SMASHED by the NFL elite. Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, etc.

They would absolutely destroy any Rugby elite team. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.
                      i give up... read the thread through mate, my answer to that ridiculous post will be back there somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                      X