No announcement yet.

Tippy Larkin vs Tommy Cross

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tippy Larkin vs Tommy Cross

In Newark, New Jersey, in 1942, Tippy Larkin entered the ring intensely focused on his bout with Tommy Cross ... so much so that Larkin took off his robe and found himself standing buck naked in the ring.

And he still scored a 6th round KO!:WORD:

So he didn't bother getting any trunks before the first bell? That's one way to keep your opponent from hitting below the belt but if he does, OOF.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      So he didn't bother getting any trunks before the first bell? That's one way to keep your opponent from hitting below the belt but if he does, OOF.
      lol:WORD: no they got him his trunks before the bell! Forget hitting below the belt...you wouldnt have to worry about clinching either!

Comment

Oh okay lol. I wouldn't be surprised, since I've heard that's what was done in the early days of Greco Roman wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Oh okay lol. I wouldn't be surprised, since I've heard that's what was done in the early days of Greco Roman wrestling.
          yep you're right ...Bouts were fought completely naked except for "himantes", soft ox-hide wraps used to protect the hands and wrists.

Comment

I first met Tippy Larkin in 1978. They had a article about me in the Bergen Record called "Henry Hascup: He's Quiz Whiz" and when I went to my 2nd Ring 9 meeting, the secretary Stu Levine read it to the membership. When he got done another former boxer by the name of Billy Kilroy said, OK kid, when and who did Tippy Larkin win the World title off of. I said April 29, 1946 against Willie Joyce. He then said, your right, now sit down and say hello to Tippy Larkin.

We became friends since that day. I would take him with me anytime we had a boxing function. He got the name of Larkin from his brother Bobby Larkin, who also fought as a pro and Bobby got it from another ex-boxer, manager, Jack Larkin Amato. Jack took the name of Larkin when in 1928, he went to see his brother Sammy Amato box. The match-maker wanted to know if anyone weighed 147 pounds that wanted to box that night. Jack said I'm 147, and then discovered he was to box his own brother, so he gave the name of Jack Larkin. The name of Tippy was suppose to be his initials, his real name was Tony Pilleteri (TP), But he once told me that he got it because his younger brother couldn't pronounce his name. He tried to say Tony, and it came out TP. I think between the 2 they came up with Tippy.

The only tape I found on Tippy was with Graham. It was shot from the balcony but it does show the boxing skill Tippy had.

I remember bringing Tippy to an affair and I was the MC. One of my duties was to introduce all the boxing people. When I got to him, I told everyone how great he was but one night he showed more then any other. I told them the story of him boxing in Newark against Tommy Cross, who was a very popular boxer from Philly and he brought up a lot of his fans. Back in those days, the boxers use to lay out with there robe on and relax before they came out to box. Tippy did just that and feel asleep. A while later there was a knock of the door and the voice yelled out, Larkin your up. Tippy got up and went to the ring. When he got to the ring the announcer announced the referee Paul Cavaliere, who was another very popular boxing person and the crowd gave him a big hand. Then Tommy Cross was introduced and he was given even a bigger one as most of Philly came down to see him box. Then it was Tippy's turn, when the announcer yelled out his name, Tippy took off his robe and the place went wild. Tippy was very happy and went to the center of the ring and did a little shadow boxing and then went back to his corner to his manager Angelo Pucci and said, Ang, they love me, Angelo said, they should, your giving them a pretty good show. Tippy then looked down and found out that he forgot to put his trunks on.

I got another Larkin story. For years all the record book put out his record, BUT I did my research and found several more bouts, including his 1st pro bout against Eddie McGillick, which he lost. Tippy found out some how that I was the one that changed his record. One night we were going to another boxing affair and he brought it up. He said, Henry I never fought McGillick, I think it was my brother Bobby that did. I didn't say much at that time because my wife was in the car. Later when we got to the affair, I was standing next to him as he was greeting a lot of boxing people. Another friend, Sam Capone, who won several Amateur State titles came up to us along with his wife Betty. Betty says to Tippy, don't you remember me? Tippy said you look like someone from my past. Betty said, yes, you fought my brother Eddie, .. Eddie McGillick, I know you remember that. Tippy turned very slowing to me and said, alright I fought him, BUT how a the world did you know that. I said, it's called research, and we both had a good laugh. I really miss him!

The Tippy Larkin-Lulu Costantino lightweight bout at Madison Square Garden, New York, on February 9, 1944, was the first time that the breakdown of the officials' cards were announced over the loudspeaker. Instead of merely announcing "Winner-Larkin," The announcer, George Kobb, gave the breakdown as Judge Joe Agnello, 9-1 for Larkin, Judge Sam Robinson, 8-2 for Larkin, Referee Arthur Susskind (Young Otto), 9-1 for Larkin, winner by unanimous decision-Tippy Larkin."

When Tippy died I gave the Eulogy!

Several years ago we put up a monument of Tippy in Garfield, and I was the MC.
            Last edited by hhascup; 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
              I first met Tippy Larkin in 1978. They had a article about me in the Bergen Record called "Henry Hascup: He's Quiz Whiz" and when I went to my 2nd Ring 9 meeting, the secretary Stu Levine read it to the membership. When he got done another former boxer by the name of Billy Kilroy said, OK kid, when and who did Tippy Larkin win the World title off of. I said April 29, 1946 against Willie Joyce. He then said, your right, now sit down and say hello to Tippy Larkin.

We became friends since that day. I would take him with me anytime we had a boxing function. He got the name of Larkin from his brother Bobby Larkin, who also fought as a pro and Bobby got it from another ex-boxer, manager, Jack Larkin Amato. Jack took the name of Larkin when in 1928, he went to see his brother Sammy Amato box. The match-maker wanted to know if anyone weighed 147 pounds that wanted to box that night. Jack said I'm 147, and then discovered he was to box his own brother, so he gave the name of Jack Larkin. The name of Tippy was suppose to be his initials, his real name was Tony Pilleteri (TP), But he once told me that he got it because his younger brother couldn't pronounce his name. He tried to say Tony, and it came out TP. I think between the 2 they came up with Tippy.

The only tape I found on Tippy was with Graham. It was shot from the balcony but it does show the boxing skill Tippy had.

I remember bringing Tippy to an affair and I was the MC. One of my duties was to introduce all the boxing people. When I got to him, I told everyone how great he was but one night he showed more then any other. I told them the story of him boxing in Newark against Tommy Cross, who was a very popular boxer from Philly and he brought up a lot of his fans. Back in those days, the boxers use to lay out with there robe on and relax before they came out to box. Tippy did just that and feel asleep. A while later there was a knock of the door and the voice yelled out, Larkin your up. Tippy got up and went to the ring. When he got to the ring the announcer announced the referee Paul Cavaliere, who was another very popular boxing person and the crowd gave him a big hand. Then Tommy Cross was introduced and he was given even a bigger one as most of Philly came down to see him box. Then it was Tippy's turn, when the announcer yelled out his name, Tippy took off his robe and the place went wild. Tippy was very happy and went to the center of the ring and did a little shadow boxing and then went back to his corner to his manager Angelo Pucci and said, Ang, they love me, Angelo said, they should, your giving them a pretty good show. Tippy then looked down and found out that he forgot to put his trunks on.

I got another Larkin story. For years all the record book put out his record, BUT I did my research and found several more bouts, including his 1st pro bout against Eddie McGillick, which he lost. Tippy found out some how that I was the one that changed his record. One night we were going to another boxing affair and he brought it up. He said, Henry I never fought McGillick, I think it was my brother Bobby that did. I didn't say much at that time because my wife was in the car. Later when we got to the affair, I was standing next to him as he was greeting a lot of boxing people. Another friend, Sam Capone, who won several Amateur State titles came up to us along with his wife Betty. Betty says to Tippy, don't you remember me? Tippy said you look like someone from my past. Betty said, yes, you fought my brother Eddie, .. Eddie McGillick, I know you remember that. Tippy turned very slowing to me and said, alright I fought him, BUT how a the world did you know that. I said, it's called research, and we both had a good laugh. I really miss him!

The Tippy Larkin-Lulu Costantino lightweight bout at Madison Square Garden, New York, on February 9, 1944, was the first time that the breakdown of the officials' cards were announced over the loudspeaker. Instead of merely announcing "Winner-Larkin," The announcer, George Kobb, gave the breakdown as Judge Joe Agnello, 9-1 for Larkin, Judge Sam Robinson, 8-2 for Larkin, Referee Arthur Susskind (Young Otto), 9-1 for Larkin, winner by unanimous decision-Tippy Larkin."

When Tippy died I gave the Eulogy!

Several years ago we put up a monument of Tippy in Garfield, and I was the MC.
              what did you paste this out of? Good story! Did you have this in a blog or something? Who was tippys trainer? So Tippy was a big part of your life huh?

Comment

Another great post. Good to see you here again, hhascup. Your stories and knowledge both interest and astound me.

Comment

Working...
                X