Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo: I Have No Intention of Going To Middleweight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo: I Have No Intention of Going To Middleweight!

SAN DIEGO - Five days before he heads to Las Vegas, popular Mexican superstar and former WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez participated in a media workout Tuesday before dozens of TV cameras, print and internet reporters, bloggers and boxing videographers at the House of Boxing Training Center.

"I've had a great training camp here in San Diego and I'm ready to go,'' said Canelo (43-1-1, 31 KOs) of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, who faces former Cuban national amateur standout and current WBA Super Welterweight World Champion Erislandy "The American Dream" Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs)in the 12-round main event of "HONOR & GLORY: Canelo vs. Lara,'' a highly anticipated four-fight SHOWTIME PPV telecast Saturday, July 12, from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Wow, I thought a move to MW would be the natural next step for him. He does still have a few good fights left at 154 but I expected him to be at 160 soon. Eventually, he will have to move up to 160 no matter what he thinks. His body won't allow him to stay at 154 his whole career.

Comment

I highly doubt the rest of his career will be at 154. If he is i think that is a cop out. He rehydrates to 170+ he needs to move up and face someone who is actually his size.

Comment

Does he believe this?

Comment

Originally posted by keeps it real View Post
          I highly doubt the rest of his career will be at 154. If he is i think that is a cop out. He rehydrates to 170+ he needs to move up and face someone who is actually his size.
          He has. Austin Trout and Alfredo Angulo. Lara isn't too far off either.

Comment

Comment

I'm a huge Canelo fan and this makes zero sense. If he beats Lara (at 155 mind you) and virtually cleaned out the division then there is no point to stay at a weight that he can't even make!

This is a bad look. Makes him look shook at the competition @ 160.

I call it how I see it and I'm very disappointed by hearing this.

Comment

He won't have a choice, once it starts severely affecting his performances and preparation. Though I don't buy the idea that he holds a significant size advantage over everyone else at 154. Trout and Angulo were both 170+ and Lara won't be much lower.

Comment

155 is middleweight

Comment

your right as far as the weight goes but look at canelo he looks likea bull. im sure he can make 168 easy. I think if he moves up to 160 there is a lot of options for him like GGG who seems to be the same size as him

Comment

Working...
                    X