Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, how do conservatives feel about S&P blaming the tea baggers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how do conservatives feel about S&P blaming the tea baggers?

http://www.standardandpoors.com/rati...=1245316529563

Compared with previous projections, our revised base case scenario now
    assumes that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, due to expire by the end of 2012,
    remain in place. We have changed our assumption on this because the majority
    of Republicans in Congress continue to resist any measure that would raise
    revenues, a position we believe Congress reinforced by passing the act. Key
    macroeconomic assumptions in the base case scenario include trend real GDP
    growth of 3% and consumer price inflation near 2% annually over the decade.

13th paragraph on page.

are they lying?

to reduce debt, you need revenue.

you need to raise taxes, basically

which the tea party are against

they would rather cut spending

so one side are saying 'we need more revenue'

the other are saying 'we need less spending'

guess which side compromised, and which side didn't

America is done, and its all due to the Republicans/Tea party

without additional revenue, it doesn't matter how much spending is cut

Comment

Originally posted by Chew BackAtacha View Post
      are they lying?

Make no mistake about it. I blame them too, but I was hoping some courageous teabagger would have the temerity to try to explain all this. I don't think they can, really. I just don't. At least, not without poking holes in their own arguments.

Comment

I agree that spending needs to be cut like dumb stuff like giving away 100 million to Somalia, when we have starving Americans here at home.

But if we increase taxes a little and cut a little then we should be able to pay back our debts even faster.

Teabaggers need to offer some sort of reasonable plan instead of just ranting and chanting.

Comment

Comment

are they lying?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingtech718v2 View Post
              I agree that spending needs to be cut like dumb stuff like giving away 100 million to Somalia, when we have starving Americans here at home.

But if we increase taxes a little and cut a little then we should be able to pay back our debts even faster.

Teabaggers need to offer some sort of reasonable plan instead of just ranting and chanting.
              I agree, both republicans and democrats are wrong. We waste too much money on both entitlements and on defense. Its foolish to have be against tax hikes to pay off our debt aswell. Democrats dont want to cut their spending and the republicans dont want to increase taxes. BOTH are wrong and we as Americans have to realize it because as we sit here pointing fingers at each other we arent accomplishing anything. This is still the greatest nation there is and we need to show the world why that is, we are smart, innovative and we work hard.

Teabaggers, Republicans, and Democrats need to realize this. Your neighbor, yourself and I need to realize this.
              Stop point

Comment

are they lying?

First of all, you seem like a reasonable person who would rather have a discussion instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks via namecalling.

Regarding taxation, I think there would be room for compromise, how about we increase:

- income taxes on those companies on the government payroll (e.g., defense contractors, those who received bailout money) and,
                - capital gains (15% to 20%) on those earnings in excess of $1,000,000 for starters.

I have my own issues with the Tea Party movement with their hypocrisy regarding foreign policy and domestic entitlement programs and with their admiration of people like Bachmann/Palin, but to put the blame solely on the Republicans/Tea Party movement demonstrates how pre-9/11 history has been forgotten.

It is mostly a spending problem, no thanks to both parties. America is over $14,000,000,000,000 in the hole with $45,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities over the next 75 years -2007 projections based on the GAO report pre-Obama health care reform- due to:
                -Medicare/Medicaid in 1965 (signed by LBJ, a Democrat),
                -Part D in 2003 (signed by George W. Bush, a Republican), and
                -Social Security in 1935 (FDR, a Democrat).

Defense is a major factor too (about $700,000,000,000 for the DoD budget) but I have not seen a major movement even among Democrats to cut defense spending, much less the Iraq War by Bush with bipartisan support (2003) and War in Afghanistan by Bush with bipartisan support (2001) (Barney Frank, Dennis Kucinich, and Bernie Sanders excluded).

The Tea Party movement did not gain any seats in Congress until 2010. And when they start talking about how there's a fiscal firestorm, they're the ones that are blamed. How exactly can you put the blame almost exclusively on the shoulders of the Tea Party movement/Republicans? Because they called out the elephant in the room?

Finally, a couple questions that I would like addressed by anyone:

-Do any of you honestly believe that the majority of career politicians (Republicans or Democrats) -that means 2/3's in the House, 60 senators, and 1 presidential signature- would have even attempted to solve the problem on their own, without the Tea Party movement crying wolf?

-What plan have the Democrats put forth? They seem to be always criticizing without putting up any alternative budget plans that balance.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) put out a plan -which I didn't like, but at least he had one- and the Democrats and other progressives hammered him for it, claiming he wanted to throw old people off a cliff.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) put for a plan to balance the budget in 5 years, cutting $500,000,000,000 in the first year alone.
                Last edited by vercingetorix3; 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hous View Post
                  I agree, both republicans and democrats are wrong. We waste too much money on both entitlements and on defense. Its foolish to have be against tax hikes to pay off our debt aswell. Democrats dont want to cut their spending and the republicans dont want to increase taxes. BOTH are wrong and we as Americans have to realize it because as we sit here pointing fingers at each other we arent accomplishing anything. This is still the greatest nation there is and we need to show the world why that is, we are smart, innovative and we work hard.

Teabaggers, Republicans, and Democrats need to realize this. Your neighbor, yourself and I need to realize this.
                  Stop point
                  This is the popular narrative. But, in actuality, who generated the spending that has the US in their current situation?

The Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by vercingetorix3 View Post
                    First of all, you seem like a reasonable person who would rather have a discussion instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks via namecalling.

Regarding taxation, I think there would be room for compromise, how about we increase:

- income taxes on those companies on the government payroll (e.g., defense contractors, those who received bailout money) and,
                    - capital gains (15% to 20%) on those earnings in excess of $1,000,000 for starters.

I have my own issues with the Tea Party movement with their hypocrisy regarding foreign policy and domestic entitlement programs and with their admiration of people like Bachmann/Palin, but to put the blame solely on the Republicans/Tea Party movement demonstrates how pre-9/11 history has been forgotten.

It is mostly a spending problem, no thanks to both parties. America is over $14,000,000,000,000 in the hole with $45,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities over the next 75 years -2007 projections based on the GAO report pre-Obama health care reform- due to:
                    -Medicare/Medicaid in 1965 (signed by LBJ, a Democrat),
                    -Part D in 2003 (signed by George W. Bush, a Republican), and
                    -Social Security in 1935 (FDR, a Democrat).
                    It's just as much or more a revenue problem. One could be the other except that the rich and corporations are making record profits while the middle class is foundering in debt. Rich and corporations are doing it by paying less in taxes than ever before, keeping money from being repatriated and taxed until things swing more their way (in any other language that is called tax evasion) and by literally buying politicians and changing the rules of how our government does business without consulting or providing for the vast majority of the people these rules affect. It is COMPLETELY a teabagger problem.

Defense is a major factor too (about $700,000,000,000 for the DoD budget) but I have not seen a major movement even among Democrats to cut defense spending, much less the Iraq War by Bush with bipartisan support (2003) and War in Afghanistan by Bush with bipartisan support (2001) (Barney Frank, Dennis Kucinich, and Bernie Sanders excluded).

The Tea Party movement did not gain any seats in Congress until 2010. And when they start talking about how there's a fiscal firestorm, they're the ones that are blamed. How exactly can you put the blame almost exclusively on the shoulders of the Tea Party movement/Republicans? Because they called out the elephant in the room?
                    You mean the same ones that S&R accused of sabotaging the economy while they stamped their feet until they got their way?

Lest we forget, that bipartisan support for Iraq you are crowing about was based upon LIES!

Finally, a couple questions that I would like addressed by anyone:

-Do any of you honestly believe that the majority of career politicians (Republicans or Democrats) -that means 2/3's in the House, 60 senators, and 1 presidential signature- would have even attempted to solve the problem on their own, without the Tea Party movement crying wolf?

-What plan have the Democrats put forth? They seem to be always criticizing without putting up any alternative budget plans that balance.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) put out a plan -which I didn't like, but at least he had one- and the Democrats and other progressives hammered him for it, claiming he wanted to throw old people off a cliff.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) put for a plan to balance the budget in 5 years, cutting $500,000,000,000 in the first year alone.
                    Before bush there was not a real problem. The problem can be paired down to bush tax reductions, an illegal war (and all attendant corruptions, misappropriations and BILLIONS in missing monies) and the teabaggers doing all they can to maintain the record low taxation rates in perpetuity.

Comment

Working...
                    X