Comments Thread For: Abner Mares: Substance Is His Style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Abner Mares: Substance Is His Style

by Cliff Rold - The end came too quick.

That much was pretty clear, in real speed and in slow motion replay. It might have been almost over, but with Daniel Ponce De Leon still firing back on Saturday night, it wasn’t over yet. Given what had happened up to that point, it’s at least understandable how referee Jay Nady could jump the gun.

Ponce De Leon had been down in the fight twice, hard.

One of the best fighters in the world was pouring it on.

Those conditions have led to many a stoppage, quick and otherwise, over the years.

Watching as Mares (26-0-1, 14 KO) picked up a belt in his third weight class, it was undeniable that he is just that: one of the best in the world. Only 27, the former Mexican Olympian based out of Southern California is in full prime stride. He’s taking the fights to make that mean something. [Click Here To Read More]

Nice piece, Cliff.

Comment

No one will EVER be able to question Mares's competition. He has fought the best.

Comment

He'll continue to do so. Shame about the GBP/TR divide because I have no doubt he'd take the opportunities of having some of those guys available. Does feel sort of inevitable that Mares will pick up a prime loss or two with the opposition he tests himself against, but he always seems to find a way.

Comment

Mares is finally getting recognition when he should have been getting it a while ago! He is better than Donaire and always has been, he should have been in the top 5 p4p list when it was actually donaire there

Comment

Originally posted by P-4-P-King View Post
            Mares is finally getting recognition when he should have been getting it a while ago! He is better than Donaire and always has been, he should have been in the top 5 p4p list when it was actually donaire there
            lol, he is not better than donaire, they havent fought yet

Comment

he should b in the top 5 p4p, take hopkins down a few noches...Mares is an excellent boxer as seen by his many fights, does what it takes 2 win, but give a whole lotta credit 2 his managment who have guided him well over the past years, he's where he is because of them...

Comment

Abner Mares is really coming on. He is really earning his stripes the old fashioned way by taking on all comers. He seems dismissive of Santa Cruz but if he ever does fight him it will be another good name on his resume. At 126 a lot of the top names are with Top Rank unfortunately but there are still fights a couple decent fights that can be made.

Comment

After years of waiting for Mares' recognition it's here, finally he's on TV!!!!

When Mares was a prospect in 2008 or 2009 I remember tuning in to Solo Boxeo on Telefutura to watch him fight, at that time he used to train with Nacho Beristain and he was more of a Beristain kind of boxer (imagine Marquez and Finito kind of style), unfortunately around that time it was hard to catch a Mares fight because a lot of them weren't televised, then he went with Frank Espinoza and left the Romanza Gym and since then he's been fighting against better competition, I mean of the few times I saw Mares fight on Solo Boxeo he would dominate and outbox his opponents with so much class, and at the time he wasn't a fighter that would necessarily walk down his opponents like he does now, it's real nice to see a fighter evolve so well, I think this is a great Mares we're watching, at his best, and don't get it wrong either he's not just a brawler he can box the ch!t out of anybody, I've been a fan of this ***** since 2009 and always wished this guy got more TV time and media coverage, the time has come! and by the way Abner Mares beat Juan Manuel Lopez in amateurs and if I'm not mistaken he did it twice at the PanAmerican Games!!!!

Comment

I've become a fan of Abner I think in the first Agbeko fight...it was dirty as hell, from both guys, hell I nicknamed him 'Nut Tapper Abner" but its because he did what he had to do, from start to finish to get a win. Fight, scrap, box and fight some more

I like the Mares/Cotto comparison...even in style a boxer/puncher

Abner can go far. Abner/Rigo would be awesome

Comment

Working...
                    X