No announcement yet.

My review of Act of Valor (sic)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My review of Act of Valor (sic)

Let me get this off my chest right here and right now: We won't send our actors into special ops combat situations if you promise not to let your Navy SEALs be in any more movies. The chemistry between the two leads was so convincing they have been hired by George Lucas for the new Star Wars movie.

It's true, every single second in this movie that didn't involve someone being blown to itty bits felt like an eternity. It was schlocky, overwrought, cheesy and horrible. There again large swathes of the film involved people being blown to itty bits and those action sequences got the Hollywood treatment and worked really well. It was so full of magnificent gadgets that my Christmas list for next year is already full and my neighbour who parks his van outside my house better be saving for a new van. This is a film all about the action. The story was a continent-hopping terrorist busting romp of the type that would have Tom Clancy reaching for his lawyer's phone number and held a fair amount of intrigue at the top level. Unfortunately this whole thing was shot in cliches. Shaven headed man drives quickly down busy streets while looking angry. Something gets blown up. Some people are shot in the head and blood goes on the wall behind them Something happens in slow motion with someone yelling something. Computer graphic indicates that there's a new scene starting.

It all felt a little bit empty, a bit of a concept piece that could have used some writers. And also some actors. There were irritating little issues, like the fact that for a film that purports to be authentic every single grenade exploded in a 40ft high plume of orange flames, every time a rocket hit a car the car flipped over and exploded multiple times, nobody ever gets shot in the guts and crumples screaming and I could be wrong here but I think that the only person who says a naughty word in the whole film is the scary bearded terrorist mastermind that made up the main antagonist.

The whole film left the impression of watching someone else play a Call of Duty single player game and not even having the good manners to skip the cut-scenes.

Watch on DVD with one finger on the "skip scene" button.

Don't you only have to add 'sic' when referring to errors in spelling?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
      Don't you only have to add 'sic' when referring to errors in spelling?
      Errors in general. But the spelling error is what I am referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        You DO realize that "valor" is the US spelling of the word right? You know, like "surpise" and "defense" the spelling is different in the US?

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          I mean its usually not applied to the differences in American and British spelling.
          Last edited by Danny Gunz; 02-29-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

The title is incorrect. It should be, Act Without Valor, as it's from the U.S. neocon war-loving perspective.

Comment

it had some cool scenes.. but everything in between was horrible. the dialogue and the acting made me fall asleep. i don't even know how it ended. all i remember is waking up to names on the screen. my guess is it was a dedication to men who died in combat

Comment

sic vid!!!!!

Comment

just seems like a recruiting tool.

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
                    The title is incorrect. It should be, Act Without Valor, as it's from the U.S. neocon war-loving perspective.
                    Not really. I mean the film was hokey but the central premise was a bunch of guys going into incredibly dangerous situations and putting themselves in extreme danger to prevent a bunch of jihadis from causing carnage against civilians, all to protect your right to call them "neocons".

Comment

Working...
                    X