Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of people who commit suicide?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel bad for them, and commend them for having the balls to take their own life. Can't judge them, the strongest people go through things that push them to the edge.

Comment

Suicide is the ultimate attention whore move.

I wouldn't want to be the person who is having those thoughts though.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
        Suicide is the ultimate attention whore move.

I wouldn't want to be the person who is having those thoughts though.
        It could be the ultimate attention move but I don't think it's the case every time. What about some one who just wants out of a terrible life. Like some one who's parents died, or some one who's days are numbered, or some a kid who's tired of life at home with abusive parents? It could be anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sigrab jr View Post
          It could be the ultimate attention move but I don't think it's the case every time. What about some one who just wants out of a terrible life. Like some one who's parents died, or some one who's days are numbered, or some a kid who's tired of life at home with abusive parents? It could be anything.
          I think those are all still attention moves, especially the abusive parents one.

The only one that isn't I'd say is the dieing person eg. you've accepted the fact that you are already 'dead' but there is something keeping you alive - like a machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
            Good you qualify it with almost. How about government officials who resign right away after some minor scandals? Japanese culture value honor and would rather die with honor than to live in shame. I don't exactly agree with it having grown up in a different upbringing but it sure is fascinating.
            True about the Japanese politicians. And there is probably some cross over with respect to the cultural phenomena. But it is quite difficult for me to compare a politician with a young soldier. They are basically the polar opisites when you consider socio-economic class constructs.

Comment

Originally posted by Berges View Post
              I don't know how true it is but maybe Nodogoshi can confirm but some chick from work was telling me that they have a high suicide rate among young Japanese specially if they fail to make it through school or if they fail at work. It brings shame on their family and many commit suicide cause of it.
              It is definitely true. Koreans also have a very high suicide rate. It isn't just E. Asia, Hungry for example is among the highest as well.

My university seems to average a suicide or more per year. Last year, on White Day, which is a holiday similar to Valentines Day, but on valentines day, guys are supposed to approach girls, whereas on White Day girls are suppose to approach guys. At about 8:30am, surely as people were just going to school or to work and what not, she jumped from the top of the 9-story dorm and killed herself. After that, I did internet research and found the supposed statistic that one a year or so among the students kill themselves. It's shocking, it is a small university. There was a story even about a kid who hung himself in the trees behind the college. It was chilling, because it was in a place that I go sometimes to get away for a second.

Comment

I use to think that people that commit suicide are weak people, but having worked in hospitals, I've changed my perception. No one knows about peoples hardships and what they are going through in life. It depends on the circumstances, but for some people, they feel their isn't a way out so the only option is to kill themselves. Sometimes the only way out is to commit suicide for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                  I never understood that line of thinking about suicide. At all.

"Hey, so what if you're completely miserable and depressed to the point that waking up every day has become a chore - You should continue to suffer in life because killing yourself would just bum me out."
                  Have you ever faced a parent who's child just committed suicide?

I have, at least twice. Once it was the mother of my good friend.

If you did, it would change your perspective on this, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                    There's absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that. I can't speak for everybody, but I think fearing death is human nature. From the moment we begin learning about ourselves and the world around us, we are given the knowledge that our existence will eventually end, and we're the only creatures on the planet who are consciously aware of that fact.

Whether it's a blessing or a curse depends on your perspective, I guess.

As for led's previous post about me saying that I'd die by suicide in another thread, he's not being entirely truthful. I said that I can almost guarantee that my death will come as the result of an accident, or via suicide.

I can't rule out the possibility that I'll be in a car wreck or some other random accident which will claim my life, but outside of that occuring I can guarantee that my life will be ended by my own hands, on my own terms.

I've watched people succumb to disease up close and wither away over a period of years, losing physical abilities and mental capacity in the process to the point where their existence hinged upon the actions of others. They were essentially dead for all intents and purposes, outside of a simple heart beat keeping them afloat.

I came to the decision that I'll never let myself deteriorate to that point a long time ago. Losing control of my ability to care for myself or think cognitively is something I will make damn sure I never have to experience. I wouldn't want the misery it would bring upon myself, or the buden which it would place upon the people I love.

And since there's a very high likelihood that if I live long enough I'll be infected with one or more diseases with the capability of robbing me of such functions, it's very likely that outside of an accident I'll be the one who decides when I've had enough.
                    There are ways to take care of yourself. Don't consume too many sugars so as to avoid diabetes. Regular exercise staves off many, many illnesses. Study a foreign language. This is a check on degenerative brain diseases. Look it up, it is quite fascinating, but it is true.

I have seen people who live to very old ages, and are cognitive all the way through. My grandmother is 93 or so. I just called her up not too long ago, she's still going strong.
                    Last edited by Drunken Cat; 11-02-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                      That statement is cowardly and stupid.

To generalize why people commit suicide is as ridiculous as to why people fall in love. It's for different reasons, some physical, some emotional, and many because of mental issues.

One thing I can say is that the older I have gotten, the less I really know about life. I have done things I thought I would never do.
                      It's not a stupid statement when you use that statement to teach your own kids. Instead of telling them "You know it takes balls to commit suicide! It's not cowardly or stupid, in fact I'll understand you if in case you do it"

Comment

Working...
                      X