Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are TRT exemptions allowed in MMA, but not boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they are on TRT do they still get tested for testosterone: estrogen ratio? Or is that exempt as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicamex View Post
      If they are on TRT do they still get tested for testosterone: estrogen ratio? Or is that exempt as well?
      Commissions test for T:E ratio, USADA/VADA use the T:E ratio and CIR (which detects the presence of synthetic testosterone).

The tests happen anyway as far as I know, the T:E test would have to anyway as they can't exceed the 4:1 ratio regardless of their excuse, and I'm pretty sure the CIR test is conducted as well.

The difference of course is that if a TUE has been submitted, the 'adverse finding' (ie. failed test) is irrelevant as the fighter has that exemption.

Obviously this has been an issue in the UFC for some time, with Dana White doing a big U-turn on it lately:

"TRT has become a way for people to cheat," White told fans. "If this is what your normal level should be and then you have guys training at huge levels for their whole camp then tapering down to get to normal levels before the f--- fight, that's cheating, and I don't like it anymore."

We can test everybody. I'm telling you right now, if you are using testosterone replacement therapy, get ready motherf---- because we're going to test the s--- out of you."

"There's so much s--- out there. Right now there's banned substances and and we follow the regulations and we're going after the banned substances, TRT was never one of them and they would be tested leading up to the fight to make sure the levels are good. If you're on TRT now, you're going to wish you weren't. We're going to test the living s--- out of you."

"You have guys that go in there 100 percent natural with his talent and natural ability, against someone on TRT, basically someone that's on steroids. I'm absolutely 100 percent against TRT and now I'm going to start fighting it 100 percent with the athletic commissions and I want nothing to do with it."

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2013/...g-s-out-of-you
      Ultimately you can't hide from the fact that it's doping. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        The difference of course is that if a TUE has been submitted, the 'adverse finding' (ie. failed test) is irrelevant as the fighter has that exemption.
        Damn thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
        X