No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Clinchko Returns: Post-Mugging Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Clinchko Returns: Post-Mugging Report Card

It was a fight with so many of the elements that have made boxing fun over the years…on paper. It was the first Heavyweight title fight between former Super Heavyweight Gold Medalists. It had some ethnic rivalry flavor. It presented what looked like an intriguing style clash.

Paper isn’t a ring canvas.

On Saturday night in Moscow, Wladimir Klitschko didn’t come to fight. He came to win. Alexander Povetkin didn’t have a clue how to deal with it. [Click Here To Read More]

Damn Clinchko

Comment

Grabimir Clinchko should just retire already, 139 clinches in one fight is just pathetic.
      Last edited by UTEP; 10-07-2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

The referee pretty much ruined a fight that might have been interesting. Not only did Wlad hold a great deal, but Povetkin also came in headfirst at times.

I agree with Cliff that it was negative that Povetkin was seemingly clueless about the clinching tactics. His trainer should take a lot of heat here. Who in the whole industry is unaware of Wlad's clinching strategy? Why didn't they work on a countermeasure? A big mystery.

Anyway Povetkin gets a lot of credit for not giving up even though there was absolutely nothing optimistic to see regarding his chances of landing a turn-around punch.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          Who in the whole industry is unaware of Wlad's clinching strategy? Why didn't they work on a countermeasure? A big mystery.
          How do you counter though? You need to work inside, but as soon as you get inside you're immediately hugged and leant on by a much bigger and heavier opponent.

I saw a discussion on this on another site, and the best counter they could come up with was 'punch him in the nuts'. That wouldn't have worked because Pabon was so partial he would probably have DQ'd Povetkin.

Comment

An embarrassment to the world of boxing.
            A credit to MMA fighters though.

Comment

Klinchko is even worse than John "the hugging man" Ruiz, if that's even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
                How do you counter though? You need to work inside, but as soon as you get inside you're immediately hugged and leant on by a much bigger and heavier opponent.

I saw a discussion on this on another site, and the best counter they could come up with was 'punch him in the nuts'. That wouldn't have worked because Pabon was so partial he would probably have DQ'd Povetkin.
                Cliff argued different countermeasures in the article. A nutshot was one. Another was standing up fast with a hard shoulder. There are others. Take Andre Ward's book of dirty tricks like a headbutt in the clinch as Wlad grabs for example. Elbows to the face or throat is one also (not a Ward trick).

Plenty of rough stuff is possible in retaliation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post

Considering the way Wlad fought, I would say that a nutshot would have little to no effect on Wlad.

Comment

I was hoping Povetkin would've treated him the way Dawson did Hopkins and nudge him to the canvas

Comment

Working...
                    X