Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glen Johnson's controversial losses - Has anyone seen these?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glen Johnson's controversial losses - Has anyone seen these?

As we all know Glen Johnson complains that he feels he has been ripped off several times in his career and that alot of his "losses" were unfair and should have gone his way. Some people agree and some people just look at him as a sore loser but I want to find some clarity...

When you look at his record on paper it seems as though he was only been beaten convincingly by a select few opponents. Bernard Hopkins (Who knocked him out), and Chad Dawson (in the rematch) and Antonio Tarver (in the rematch). But he has 13 losses.

Of the so called "controversial fights", I have only seen a couple of them. These were his bouts with German champion Sven Ottke and Italian WBU Champion Silvio Branco. Sven Ottke did have alot of close fights, I have seen more of them than most people and I do believe that he beat Johnson. Although it was a very close fight with some very close rounds where neither guy was doing much. I don't think this fight can be considered a robbery because Ottke made Glen fight his tactical kind of fight. However, the bout with Branco was a robbery whichever way you look at it. Glen outlanded, outworked and outpunched Silvio in almost every round. I had him winning by a lopsided 118-111 but the judges screwed him over.

My question is whether you have seen any of the "controversial" fights involving Glen Johnson. In particular the fights with Merqui Sosa, Joseph Kiwanuka, Syd Vanderpool, Omar Sheika, Derrick Harmon and Julio Gonzalez.

If you have seen any of them then I would be very interested in knowing which fights were robberies and which were just very close and could have gone either way. I have alot of respect for Glen Johnson because he had to overcome alot in his career and earned every inch of his success the hard way.

I would appreciate some opinions on this....

The draw with Daniel Judah was a ridiculous robbery. It wasn't even close.

Comment

I haven't seen his controversial losses, but IMO he clearly lost both Dawson fights and the first Tarver fightis debateable.

I'm going to make it a point to watch these fights when I find them though.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
        I haven't seen his controversial losses, but IMO he clearly lost both Dawson fights and the first Tarver fightis debateable.

Are you kidding Johnson beat both,he took a unpolished Dawson to school and deserved the win.The second fight went to Dawson,and he whooped Tarvers ass .

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
          Are you kidding Johnson beat both,he took a unpolished Dawson to school and deserved the win.The second fight went to Dawson,and he whooped Tarvers ass .
          Nah... if you score the fight round by round, Dawson won the fight with his jab, movement, and combinations. He only lost the rounds where he got hurt, but except for 1 round, even they were all in the last minute of the round after Johnson got outboxed for the first 2.

And the first Tarver fight was ridiculously close, not a clear win at all.

Comment

Glen johnson is a top fighter, robberies or not..

got respect for him

Comment

And the first Tarver fight was ridiculously close, not a clear win at all.

Johnson even seem surprised that he got it.It was a close fight but I thought Tarver won seven rounds clearly enough

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
                I have only watched it once but I thought he won the first Dawson fight, Even if it was very close. I had it something like 115-114, You can make a case for Dawson winning but the margins were unrealistic. The 2nd fight was undoubtedly a win for Dawson, No doubt whatsoever about that one.

I thought he beat Tarver in the first fight, Antonio landed more but I thought Glen outhustled him in the final rounds and deserved the win. Albeit by the narrow margin of 115-113, You have to score round by round and I think Antonio took off 1 or 2 rounds that he really needed to win to make it decisive.

So i'm guessing that nobody has seen his rare "controversial" fights. I'm going to try and find them on DVD and then upload them in the video section. Especially the Julio Gonzalez fight, Iv'e heard this was one of the worst robberies of the last few years.

Comment

If you got that Sven Ottke fight you should upload it. I had Johnson beating Woods in the first fight. Get back to you on the Harmon fight, need to watch it again.

Comment

Glen Johnson vs Derrick Harmon

*Round 1: 10 – 10 Even
                    Very, very close round. Feels wrong to take it away from either fighter. Harmon started really good but he didn’t do much at all in the last two thirds of the round.

Round 2: 9 – 10 Harmon
                    The composed Harmon clearly landed the better shots in this round, and proved to have far superior ring generalship to the wild Johnson.

*Round 3: 9 – 10 Harmon
                    Another close round which involved Harmon mostly out boxing Johnson. Johnson did get in some good body work when he actually got inside however.

Round 4: 9 – 10 Harmon
                    Dominant round for Derrick.

Round 5: 10 – 9 Johnson
                    Before we get into this round I’d just like to give a few quotes from Derrick in during the interim between the 4th and 5th round. “He’s ****in crazy.” “…I want to go home.” Johnson then proceeds to win his first round of the fight by loading up on a lot of unanswered right hands.

Round 6: 9 – 10 Harmon
                    Harmon resumes out boxing his technically limited opponent.

Round 7: 9 – 10 Harmon
                    War breaks out in the second half of the round. Harmon dominates. Sure Johnson landed the best punch of the round, but it was 1 punch. Harmon landed quite a lot of very good punches.

*Round 8: 10 – 9 Johnson
                    Very close round, Johnson out worked Harmon and stole it in the last 30 seconds.

*Round 9: 10 – 10 Even
                    Too close to call.

*Round 10: 10 – 9 Johnson
                    Derrick took the round off. But Johnson mostly just danced around without actually trying to connect…the few times he did were enough to edge it.

Final Score: 3 – 5 – 2 Harmon (95 – 97)

Score Variances:
                    Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 1: 6 – 4 Johnson
                    Scoring all the starred rounds even: 1 – 5 – 4 Harmon
                    Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 2: 1 – 9 Harmon

------------

Case can be made that Glen won the fight. But the case is he won a close fight. Conversely you can make a case Harmon won by wide margins. I had Harmon by 2 points. If my even rounds become Johnson rounds, it's a draw.

Comment

Working...
                    X