Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Michael Spinks retire after tyson KO?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Michael Spinks retire after tyson KO?

can anyone school me on this

Michael Spinks was financially savvy with his $$. He made millions from the Holmes fights and he made a huge payday fighting Tyson. I guess he decided he didn't want to get punched in the face for a living anymore and he had the financial means to get out the sport

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      Michael Spinks was financially savvy with his $$. He made millions from the Holmes fights and he made a huge payday fighting Tyson. I guess he decided he didn't want to get punched in the face for a living anymore and he had the financial means to get out the sport
      Yes, Spinks put 20 million in the bank after the Tyson fight. That gives anyone the luxury of retirement.

Also Spinks had very bad knees.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Yes, Spinks put 20 million in the bank after the Tyson fight. That gives anyone the luxury of retirement.

Also Spinks had very bad knees.
        That's an incredibly lucrative payday in today's dollars nevermind over 25 years ago. I guess it begs the question: were boxers better paid back in 70's, 80's, 90's???

Comment

Originally posted by STILL_DETOX
          dont lie to me u incompetent misinformed pig.

go to 8:50

I was going on what I remember reading at the time. Butch Lewis (Spinks' manager) claimed that he put 20 million in the bank the morning after the fight. I'm not presenting it as evidence in a trial.

And you sound very childish talking like that.
          Last edited by Scott9945; 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I was going on what I remember reading at the time. Butch Lewis (Spinks' manager) claimed that he put 20 million in the bank the morning after the fight. I'm not presenting it as evidence in a trial.

Those are also filed funds. Might not include whatever upsides were included etc. It was a boatload of money for someone who knows how to live like they have it not like they can spend it all and get more.

Comment

He got raped by Tyson

Trauma was too much for him
              Last edited by TysonBomb; 12-29-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Comment

Would have been fun if he tried to drop down to cruiserweight and was there when Holyfield was.

Comment

Where was he going to go? He was scared to death of, and was nearly killed by, the top heavyweight. And he had gone through a ton of physical changes to go from a bony LHW to a muscular 208 pounds; going back down would have been real tough, especially for a guy his age.

Comment

Working...
                    X